Our latest edition of AFSCME TV honors several brave Ohio AFSCME snowplow drivers for their efforts to save lives in the line of duty. Members Steve Kinstle, Larry Poage, Ed...
AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders addresses the 2013 Next Wave Conference in Detroit.
AFSCME Sec.-Treas. Laura Reyes addresses the 2013 Next Wave Conference in Detroit.
Confronting Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder and Detroit's Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr over their pension-slashing, anti-worker agenda was the objective of more than 600 young AFSCME members at the 2013 Next...
- Jun 27 Prison Industry Funds Study; Profs Face Probe Temple University professors Simon Hakim and Erwin Blackstone failed to disclose that their research was funded by the private prison industry. (Blog)
- Jun 27 Missouri EMS Pros Vote to Join AFSCME EMS professionals at AMR-Independence/South Platte are now part of EMS Workers United-AFSCME, the nation's fastest growing union for emergency medical personnel. (Blog)
- Jun 27 Working to Raise Civic Pride in Connecticut Members of AFSCME Local 1579, Council 4, raised money for flags to decorate the city (Blog)
- Jun 26 Wisconsin Governor Walker Steeped in Scandal State prosecutors say Walker is at the center of a “criminal scheme.” (Blog)
- Jun 26 U.S. Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Whistleblower Edward Lane helped convict an Alabama state legislator on corruption charges. (Blog)
- Jun 26 Union Members and Retirees Lead Charge on Moral Mondays More join the fight for workers’ rights, racial justice, voting rights and other progressive causes. (Blog)
- Jun 25 Anchorage Employees Choose AFSCME AFSCME welcomes the Anchorage Municipal Employees Association (AMEA) to the AFSCME family. (Blog)
- Jun 25 Mo’ Money, Mo’ Pizza Pizza chain raises minimum wage, opens ninth location. (Blog)
- Jun 24 Organizing Spotlight: Rhonda McClain, Rockford, Illinois McLain and two dozen other Volunteer Member Organizers (VMOs) brought 78 employees into AFSCME. (Blog)
- Jun 24 Rebuilding Power at Eskenazi Hospital Health care workers at Indianapolis’s Eskenazi Hospital are working to rebuild their union, AFSCME Local 2065. (Blog)
- Jun 24 WFSE Members on Guard Against Outsourcing When a private contractor attempted to take over maintenance and custodial duties at Husky S1adium, members of the University of Washington skilled trades bargaining unit noticed and blew the whistle. (Blog)
- Jun 23 AFSCME Ready to Deflect San Jose Mayor’s Second Attack on Retirement Security San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed is at it again, even after a judge ruled that his plan to slash city workers’ pensions is unconstitutional. (Blog)
- May 30 States take steps to reduce sexual assault in prisons The majority of U.S. states and territories are taking steps to reduce sexual assaults in... (Washington Post)
- May 28 IL: Captive to costs: Inmate, staff figures drive overtime for state prisons The cost of paying overtime to employees in the state's prison system topped $60 million... (lee.net )
- May 28 MS: Jackson school board votes not to privatize transportation The Jackson Public School Board voted down a proposal by Superintendent Dr. Cedric Gray to... (The Clarion-Ledger )
- May 28 TX: Power shift in Texas election to benefit anti-toll cause ...handing our public roads to private toll corporations who charge Texans 95 cents a mile... (MySA)
- May 28 KS: Privatization initiative offers window on Kansas government "...One contractor had the ear of the governor’s top staff, made the sales pitch, and... (Kansas Health Initiative News Service)
- May 28 LA: Contract review bill killed For the second year in a row, the Louisiana Senate Finance Committee killed legislation that... (The Advocate)
- May 26 NJ: Opponents of toll-collection privatization say savings would be minuscule The human cost would be huge. The financial savings would be minuscule. (Press of Atlantic City )
- May 15 Managing Prison Health Care Spending State Health Care Spending This report examines state spending on inmate health care and the factors driving costs higher.... (Pew )
- May 04 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Corrections Officers and Employees Week “We will always honor the sacrifices corrections employees make on our behalf by standing with them in their struggle, which is also ours..." (Press Release)
- Mar 26 California Governor Appoints a Journalist to Be the State Librarian Librarians expressed concerns that a non-librarian would be appointed as state librarian. (MCCLATCHY NEWS )
- Mar 25 KY: Legislation to end library lawsuits in jeopardy The Republican-controlled Senate took out language put in by House Democrats that would have validated... (Cincinatti Enquirer )
- Mar 18 Americans Still Love Their Libraries More than two-thirds of Americans like their public libraries and use them often, according to... (Governing.com)