Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was killed on April 4, 1968, after traveling to Memphis to support 1,300 AFSCME sanitation workers who were on strike due to dangerous working conditions,...
In 1968 sanitation workers made history in Memphis, Tennessee. Over a thousand workers went on strike to protest unfair wages, discrimination, and unsafe working conditions that took the lives of...
Coverage from CBS affiliate WREG in Memphis about the commemoration of the 45th Anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s work and the 1968 sanitation workers' strike.
Pres. Saunders speaks with Les Smith from WHBQ Fox 13 about the events in Memphis commemorating the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s work and the 1968 sanitation...
- Apr 10 Miami Rally Participants Urge Lawmakers to Pass Immigration Reform The largest pro-immigration demonstration since 2006 drew nearly 3,000 people. (Blog)
- Apr 09 We Need to Fight for Equal Pay, Today and Everyday It's time to end pay discrimination against women once and for all. (Blog)
- Apr 08 Protecting Retirement Security through a Pension City of Little Rock, Ark., is switching to a pension system to protect retirees. (Blog)
- Apr 04 Street Renamed to Honor 1968 Sanitation Strikers Thousands march to commemorate Martin Luther King, Jr.’s work on behalf of Memphis sanitation workers. (Blog)
- Apr 04 So Long, “Owlcatraz” GEO Group cancels plan to purchase naming rights to Florida Atlantic University’s football stadium. (Blog)
- Apr 04 The Struggle Continues in Memphis as Labor and Allies Honor Martin Luther King Jr. Event commemorates Dr. King’s life and his work on behalf of the Memphis sanitation workers. (Blog)
- Apr 03 Inspired by Dr. King, Member Terry Walker Travels to Memphis California home care provider joins commemorative events honoring Martin Luther King Jr. and 1968 strikers. (Blog)
- Apr 03 AFSCME Family Scholarship Program Winners Announced College scholarships are awarded annually to dependents of AFSCME members. (Blog)
- Mar 27 Activists Gather in Memphis to Commemorate Dr. King’s Life Union members, civil rights leaders and community activists will hold events April 3-4. (Blog)
- Mar 22 Lean In, Learn During AFSCME’s Upcoming Webinar on Eleanor Roosevelt Few in history have been such a fierce advocate for working families. (Blog)
- Mar 22 Unity Puts Santa Clara Workers Closer to a Contract With United EMS Workers by their side, city workers stand their ground. (Blog)
- Mar 21 AFSCME.TV: Comprehensive Immigration Reform Our efforts are making a real difference in the push for reform. (Blog)
- Mar 18 AFSCME President Lee Saunders on Nomination of Thomas E. Perez for Secretary of Labor Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on nomination of Thomas E. Perez for Secretary of Labor (Press Release)
- Mar 12 Ryan Budget Is Nothing More than a Time Machine Ride Back to Financial Instability Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Rep. Paul Ryan’s GOP Budget (Press Release)
- Feb 20 Major Investors Call on JPMorgan Chase to Name Independent Board Chair Coalition with $820 million in JPM shares seeks stronger, more independent governance and oversight (Press Release)
- Feb 19 AFSCME’s Saunders on Bowles Simpson Plan Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on the new Bowles Simpson plan (Press Release)
- Feb 14 Too Big to Fail and Imperial CEOs Targeted as AFSCME Employees Pension Plan Announces 2013 Shareholder Proposals
- Feb 12 AFSCME’s Saunders: “We Must Pull Together to Rebuild the Middle Class” Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on President Obama’s State of the Union address (Press Release)
- Feb 01 Institutional Investors Continue to Press Companies for Disclosure of Lobbying Shareholder resolutions filed with more than 50 companies by more than 65 institutional and individual investors for 2013. (Press Release)
- Jan 29 AFSCME’s Saunders and Reyes: “Comprehensive Immigration Reform Is Now a Real Possibility” Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders and Sec.-Treas. Laura Reyes on President Obama’s immigration reform speech (Press Release)
- Jan 28 AFSCME President Lee Saunders and Secretary-Treasurer Laura Reyes on Senate Framework for Comprehensive Immigration Reform
- Jan 18 Drawing Inspiration from Lincoln, King on the Eve of President Obama's Second Inauguration It is time for all of us to pull together and fight for the enduring... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 15 Massive Cuts are Coming Unless We Work Together It’s time to pull together to prepare America for the future. Together, we must be... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 10 AFSCME President Lee Saunders on Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis’ Resignation