Blog

AFSCME members are on the frontlines of Minnesota flood recovery

by Michael Kuchta, AFSCME Council 5/Minnesota  |  July 03, 2012

Walter Alexander (front) and Lucas Seboe, Duluth MnDOT Local 695, shovel mud off Highway 53, which was closed temporarily when a hillside partially collapsed onto the roadway.

Walter Alexander (front) and Lucas Seboe, Duluth MnDOT Local 695, shovel mud off
Highway 53, which was closed temporarily when a hillside partially collapsed onto the
roadway. (Photo credit: AFSCME Council 5/Minnesota)

DULUTH, Minn. –  After record rainfall unleashed flash floods here late last month, AFSCME city, county and state workers labored around the clock to rescue stranded residents, barricade washed-out or flooded roads, and clear blocked highways.

Now, these public workers are beginning the painstaking process of repairing and assessing the massive damage to roads, bridges and other infrastructure in Duluth and surrounding communities. They’re keeping people safe and documenting the damage for federal aid that could help them rebuild. In some cases, they’re doing it all while dealing with flood damage to their own homes.

“Nobody’s making us,” says Jeff Johnson, of AFSCME Local 66. He’s running heavy equipment for the city’s utility department. “They’re pretty much telling us, ‘Go ‘til you’re tired. If you’re tired, go home.’”

Record rainfall dumped as much rain in 24 hours as the city typically gets in two months. Floodwaters undermined roadbeds, caused streets to cave in, washed out highways, and created massive sinkholes that swallowed cars. Flooded roads – and gaping chasms where roads used to be – forced public workers to use whatever means necessary to rescue stranded residents.

In Duluth, crews put some residents into the beds of dump trucks to get them out of harm’s way. In nearby Barnum, they used the scoop of a front-end loader to do the same thing. In Moose Lake, inmate crews joined corrections officers in stuffing sandbags to keep floodwaters at bay. Department of Natural Resources workers in nearby state parks rescued stranded campers, guiding them down trails on ATVs or, in some cases, on foot, when roads became impassable.

Initial estimates say public infrastructure damage exceeds $108 million. At least 770 homes suffered significant flooding.

“We’re just taking neighborhood by neighborhood right now, writing down the damage and the severity of it,” says Nathan Levine, another Local 66 member in engineering. “We’ve got to find out what’s the really bad stuff versus what’s not so bad.”

City utility crews are trying to clear sewer lines clogged with rocks, broken asphalt and other debris. Local 66 members in the public works department are making emergency repairs to get streets back in service wherever possible. They’re hauling in gravel to patch holes and bury exposed gas lines and other utilities.

“We’re looking at getting people their freedom of movement again,” says Fred Seger, a Local 66 member in public works.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is seeking federal disaster aid for Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Lake and St. Louis Counties (as well as in Dakota, Goodhue and Rice Counties, which also suffered flooding and storm damage in the same week). AFSCME members in these communities whose homes sustained severe damage will be eligible for assistance through AFSCME’s Fallen Heroes Fund. The fund provides relief and immediate assistance to members who fall victim to natural disasters and other tragedies.

 


Next: AFSCME President Lee Saunders on MSNBC
Previous: Collective Bargaining Works in Puerto Rico