Blog

Minnesotans Demand End to Government Shutdown

by Clyde Weiss  |  July 08, 2011

Sec.-Treas. Saunders
END THE SHUTDOWN! – AFSCME International Sec.-Treas. Lee A. Saunders addresses a rally in Minnesota, where public service workers have been laid off for more than a week. (Photo by Steve Woit)

The week-long government shutdown that has shuttered most Minnesota state offices for the past seven days – resulting in the layoffs of 22,000 state and local public service workers – spurred a massive demonstration July 6 at the Capitol in St. Paul.

Hundreds of public service workers, supporters and other Minnesotans upset with the state shutdown rallied at the Capitol steps, creating what AFSCME Council 5 called “Downeyville,” a pointed reference to state Rep. Keith Downey (R-Edina), who has authorized bills to permanently cut the state workforce by 5,000 employees, and to eliminate the collective bargaining rights of public school teachers and state employees.

Downeyville is “a place where legislators protect the wealthy, and not the workers … a land where divisive social agendas are more important than solutions,” declared Eliot Seide, director of Council 5, which represents 18,000 state workers (including 10,000 who have been laid off).

Added Local 221 (Council 5) member Mike Lindholt, “Downeyville is a disgusting place. It is here where 22,000 of us were deemed unnecessary, unwanted and laid off…. It is a place where Paul Wellstone’s motto – we all do better when we all do better – has been forgotten.”

“The Republicans are playing games,” AFSCME International Sec.-Treas. Lee A. Saunders told the assembled activists. “It’s their sick version of Survivor – they want to see how long folks can hold out before things get really out of control. Then they can force their budget down your throats, instead of passing a plan that’s fair and balanced. But we won’t let Keith Downey and all the others use and abuse working families. They must stop playing games and get serious!”

The standoff continued despite a new deal proposed by Gov. Mark Dayton (D) to close a budget gap. The plan – which includes an increase to the cigarette tax by $1 per pack and closing tax loopholes – was quickly rejected by Republican lawmakers who previously dismissed Dayton’s proposal to raise taxes on about 7,700 Minnesota millionaires.

The shutdown – resulting in the largest layoff in state history – actually costs the state money, an irony noted by The Washington Post. The paper says the state loses $1.25 million a day in lottery sales, up to $50,000 a week in uncollected tolls, $80,000 from the closure of a golf course and convention center, and $200,000 a day in state park closures. It may even have to pay out more in unemployment benefits, since laid-off public service workers can collect unemployment during the shutdown.

Read more about the rally in this Council 5 story and see our photo gallery for more pictures from the day’s events.

Next: AFSCME’s Young Activists Meet at Next Wave Conference in Georgia
Previous: Need a Job? Go to Prison