The top stories of the week from Capitol Hill, as prepared by the AFSCME Department of Federal Government Affairs.More Legislative Weekly Reports »
Find out how Senators and Representatives from each state voted on key issues and see whether they're on our side.
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
Raise the retirement age? Work longer hours? Retirees read aloud for themselves some of the out-of-touch right-wing ideas to come from the Presidential candidates. Their reactions are worth a watch....
There’s a lot of talk about union fair share fees these days. In a case called Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, the Supreme Court may even consider them.
It's only fitting that on Groundhog Day, John Boehner and the GOP are leading the charge to repeal ObamaCare...again.
- Aug 27 TN: Democrats Blast Latest Privatization Plan By Gov. Haslam
- Aug 20 TN: Haslam administration moves on privatizing management of state university buildings Gov. Haslam’s administration is moving to privatize the management and operations of the facilities of... (Memphis Commercial Appeal)
- Aug 20 IL: Emanuel moves to prevent repeat of infamous Chicago parking meter fiasco Mayor Emanuel finally introduced a much-anticipated ordinance designed to protect city residents and taxpayers from... (Reboot Illinois)
- Aug 24 Indiana School Policies Blamed for Teacher Shortage After more than five years of teacher bashing, stagnant pay and legislation that reduced their rights at work, Indiana has seen the number of first-time teacher licenses drop by 63 percent. (Blog)
- Aug 21 Federal Cuts Blamed for Layoffs The Connecticut Department of Labor announced the layoff of 95 front-line employees, including 85 members of AFSCME Council 4 bargaining units, blaming a reduction in federal funds over the next two years for the pink slips. (Blog)
- Aug 18 Women Still Fighting for Voting Rights It is hard to believe that – on the 95th anniversary of the 19th Amendment that gave women the vote – women are still fighting for the right to cast their ballots unhindered by restrictive voter ID laws. (Blog)
- Aug 17 President Obama Calls for Voting Rights Renewal In a personal letter, President Obama made a powerful appeal for the nation to reaffirm commitment to the Voting Rights Act, which is under coordinated attack in states across the nation since a Supreme Court decision that allows laws restricting voting. (Blog)
- Aug 17 VIDEO: Coalitions Work The video Standing Strong tells the story of how AFSCME and the entire New Mexico labor movement came together with a coalition of progressive allies to defend working families against the harmful agenda of Gov. Martinez. (Blog)