The top stories of the week from Capitol Hill, as prepared by the AFSCME Department of Federal Government Affairs.More Legislative Weekly Reports »
Find out how Senators and Representatives from each state voted on key issues and see whether they're on our side.
There’s a lot of talk about union fair share fees these days. In a case called Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, the Supreme Court may even consider them.
It's only fitting that on Groundhog Day, John Boehner and the GOP are leading the charge to repeal ObamaCare...again.
Highlights from U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez's keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
The Reverend Doctor William Barber spoke at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago on Thursday, July 17, 2014.
- Jun 30 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on President Obama’s Overtime Rule Change "Americans are working harder than ever, but while corporate profits are skyrocketing, incomes are still flat-lining, so it's encouraging that Pres. Obama’s proposal could give workers who make up to $50,440 a hard-earned raise." (Press Release)
- Jun 26 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the Obergefell v. Hodges Decision Today is a momentous day. Together as a nation we took a dramatic step toward the ideals of equality and freedom. (Press Release)
- Jun 25 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the King v. Burwell Decision By rejecting this overtly partisan attack against existing law, the Court has preserved the health and peace of mind of the more than 8 million Americans who will now continue to rely on the law for access to quality, affordable health coverage. (Press Release)
- Jul 07 Florida Budget Winners: A Select Few Now that Florida lawmakers have signed off on a $78 billion budget, which Gov. Scott approved after vetoing more than $461 million in spending projects, we can sift through the small print to get a sense of what the governor considers important. (Blog)
- Jul 06 Tucson Fair Wages Push Is AFSCME Strong AFSCME Local 449 members are utilizing the tools they learned during their AFSCME Strong training to gain support to improve the lives of City of Tucson employees. (Blog)
- Jul 03 A Little Spark in Jobs for the Fourth The U.S. economy continues to show signs of improvement, even as wages remain stagnant. Aside from another positive report on job growth, workers could cheer Pres. Obama’s announcement this week that more workers will be able to qualify for overtime pay. (Blog)
- Jul 02 Celebrate Workplace Freedom! Since the early days of our nation, American workers – by forming labor unions – have been declaring independence from unfair treatment in the workplace, wage exploitation and other forms of abuse by all-powerful bosses. (Blog)
- Jun 30 Pass the Voting Rights Advancement Act Now! In an effort to strengthen the Voting Rights Act (VRA), 50 years old in August, AFSCME members rallied last week in Roanoke, Virginia, with other progressive organizations to urge Congress to preserve the right to vote for all Americans. (Blog)