The top stories of the week from Capitol Hill, as prepared by the AFSCME Department of Federal Government Affairs.More Legislative Weekly Reports »
Find out how Senators and Representatives from each state voted on key issues and see whether they're on our side.
It's only fitting that on Groundhog Day, John Boehner and the GOP are leading the charge to repeal ObamaCare...again.
Highlights from U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez's keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
The Reverend Doctor William Barber spoke at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago on Thursday, July 17, 2014.
Watch highlights from AFSCME Secretary-Treasurer Laura Reyes' keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
- Mar 25 Congress considers privatizing the air traffic control system Frustrated by the FAA’s bureaucratic inertia, there is bipartisan sentiment in Congress to spin off... (Washington Post)
- Mar 25 New Jersey privatizes its water in the worst way possible The Water Infrastructure Protection Act (WIPA) allows municipalities to sell their water facilities to private... (America Blog)
- Mar 24 Five out of Six Eligible Children Unable to Access Child Care Assistance In 2011, only 17 percent—or one in six children—eligible under federal rules actually received any... (CLASP)
- Mar 26 Underfunding and understaffing plague public libraries 'We are trying to do more with less,' said John Hyslop, president of Queens Library Guild Local 1321. 'But there is only so much you can do when you lack resources.' (Blog)
- Mar 24 Big Corporations Cash in on Federal Largesse A study by Good Jobs First, “Uncle Sam’s Favorite Corporations,” details how two-thirds of the $68 billion in business grants and tax credits awarded by the federal government during the past 15 years have gone to large corporations. (Blog)
- Mar 24 President Saunders on Expanding Opportunity in America's Urban Areas AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders appeared March 23rd at a Center for American Progress discussion on our nation's urban centers and the ongoing challenges they face, from housing and transportation to education and workforce accessibility. (Blog)
- Mar 23 How to Fix State and Local Budgets (and Help the Middle Class) States and local governments have been cutting vital public services for years because of shrinking revenue and bad policy decisions - and the results have been devastating. (Blog)
- Mar 23 Fifth Anniversary of ACA Is Cause for Celebration Today, March 23, is the fifth anniversary of the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, a law that helped 16.4 million people obtain or keep health insurance. That’s cause for celebration. (Blog)