The top stories of the week from Capitol Hill, as prepared by the AFSCME Department of Federal Government Affairs.More Legislative Weekly Reports »
Find out how Senators and Representatives from each state voted on key issues and see whether they're on our side.
There’s a lot of talk about union fair share fees these days. In a case called Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, the Supreme Court may even consider them.
It's only fitting that on Groundhog Day, John Boehner and the GOP are leading the charge to repeal ObamaCare...again.
Highlights from U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez's keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
The Reverend Doctor William Barber spoke at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago on Thursday, July 17, 2014.
- Jul 08 Supreme Court’s threat to gut unions is giving the labor movement new life Public sector unions haven’t been sitting passively by as the judicial juggernaut approaches. Rather, they’ve... (The Washington Post)
- Jun 30 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on President Obama’s Overtime Rule Change "Americans are working harder than ever, but while corporate profits are skyrocketing, incomes are still flat-lining, so it's encouraging that Pres. Obama’s proposal could give workers who make up to $50,440 a hard-earned raise." (Press Release)
- Jun 26 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the Obergefell v. Hodges Decision Today is a momentous day. Together as a nation we took a dramatic step toward the ideals of equality and freedom. (Press Release)
- Jul 29 Kentucky COs Earn Raises, Respect Kentucky corrections officers earned hefty pay increases and bonuses from an administration concerned about retaining and attracting good employees willing to perform the dangerous work. (Blog)
- Jul 27 Atlanta Workers Speak Up, Win Raises The City Council voted overwhelmingly July 21 to approve a 3.5 percent pay increase for approximately 3,000 Atlanta city workers in public works, corrections, and parks and recreation, among other city services. (Blog)
- Jul 27 Jeb Bush: ‘Phase Out Medicare’ Medicare provides quality, affordable health care to seniors. It also is in its strongest fiscal shape in years thanks to the Affordable Care Act. So why does Republican Presidential candidate JEB! Bush want to “phase out this program?” (Blog)
- Jul 24 Survey: Pope’s Economic Message Resonates Here An overwhelming majority of religiously affiliated U.S. voters agree with Pope Francis’s message on equality and economic justice, and that we must make changes so that “everyone benefits from the fruits of the Earth.” (Blog)
- Jul 16 AFSCME’s Enemies Look to the Supreme Court The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear a case with the potential to make “right-to-work” the law of the land in the public sector and undermine workers’ right to collectively bargain over wages, benefits and working conditions. (Blog)