The top stories of the week from Capitol Hill, as prepared by the AFSCME Department of Federal Government Affairs.More Legislative Weekly Reports »
Find out how Senators and Representatives from each state voted on key issues and see whether they're on our side.
AFSCME members Stephen Mittons and Dovard Howard joined dozens of other public employees on the steps of the Supreme Court to reiterate the vital role their unions play in helping...
Stephanie Wiley is a child care attendant in Ohio. Every day, she wakes up before the sun rises to help children with special needs who ride the bus to school....
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
Raise the retirement age? Work longer hours? Retirees read aloud for themselves some of the out-of-touch right-wing ideas to come from the Presidential candidates. Their reactions are worth a watch....
- Feb 02 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Sec. Hillary Clinton’s Victory in the Iowa Caucus
- Dec 14 Trash outsourcing battle could loom over new council Council members heard of several big decisions they could have to make, including outsourcing trash... (Commercial Appeal)
- Nov 02 Statement by AFSCME President Lee Saunders and UAW President Dennis Williams on the Obama Administration’s plan to assist Puerto Rico
- Feb 12 Budget Proposal Includes Help for Working Families With his latest budget proposal, President Obama is sending a strong message to Congress: the economy may be improving, but without serious investments in healthcare, education and infrastructure, the middle class will be left behind. (Blog)
- Feb 11 Cab Drivers Host Health Care, Medicaid Fairs Cab Drivers United/AFSCME Local 2500 in Chicago hosted fairs to help drivers get health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. (Blog)
- Feb 11 DC 37 Takes Fight for City University Funding to Albany DC 37 has revved up a campaign for higher education, urging New York state legislators to adequately fund the City University of New York. (Blog)
- Feb 11 Love with a Union Label on Valentine’s Day It turns out there are many union-made treats you can give out on Valentine's Day. (Blog)
- Feb 10 OCSEA Presses Case of Understaffed Prisons Correctional officer Mollie Jansen and some of her colleagues at Ohio’s Mansfield Correctional Institution are helping to put a human face on the critical issue of understaffing that threatens safety. (Blog)