Protecting Our Future
Delegates at the 1970 AFSCME Convention – shortly after the nation’s first Earth Day – declared “The right of all persons to a healthy, safe and pleasant environment in which to live and work is fundamental.” To achieve this right AFSCME called upon the “administration and the Congress to vigorously support all programs to curtail pollution of the environment in any form.” While some of the worst conditions detailed in that resolution have been mitigated, often through the daily work of AFSCME members, a new challenge faces us: climate change.
AFSCME understands the enormous social and economic consequences of climate change, which is why in 2008 we recommitted ourselves to action – in legislatures and at the bargaining table, in our union offices and our workplaces, in our homes and our communities.
2011 was a pivotal year for the working middle class. It started with the scapegoating of public service workers for the country's economic woes, and continued with unprecedented attacks on...
America's working class is part of the solution. We're fed up with attacks from politicians backed by Wall Street bankers. We won't let them take our rights. We wont let...
Thousands of AFSCME members participated in the One Nation Working Together march and rally in Washington, DC on October 2, 2010.
- Apr 12 Countering the Siege AFSCME President McEntee on how attacks on public service workers have energized union members and... (New York Times)
- Mar 09 Public operation of water and sewer systems is cheaper Public operation of water and sewer systems averaged 21 % cheaper than private operation. This... (Food and Water Watch)
- Feb 18 Obama’s transportation budget creates jobs, cuts pollution, and increases security President Obama announced the Federal transportation budget for FY2012, to create jobs and cut pollution.... (Climate Progress)
- Dec 15 Secretary Of Labor Discusses Green Jobs U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis entertains questions from Perspectives on Work on the topic... (Perspectives on Work)
- Sep 16 California Braces For Showdown On Emissions Ballot Proposition 23 would roll back the state's landmark greenhouse emissions law. (New York Times,... (New York Times)
- Jul 06 Thirsty for answers: Mayor's plan to sell water co. raises questions