AFSCME members are community and political activists. That activism can be used to promote sustainable communities and protect the environment by legislative and other efforts.
SUSTAINABLE PLANNING AND PRACTICES
- Sustainability Planning Toolkit: A Comprehensive Guide to Help Cities and Counties Develop a Sustainability Plan
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability
- Cool Cities - Solving Global Warming One City At A Time
- Smart Growth Online
The Smart Growth Network offers an online resource library searchable by issue, state, and type of resource. They also offer a special database on land development regulations.
- Smart Growth
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Includes information about EPA Smart Growth Grants and an interactive map of projects that EPA has already funded.
- Smart Growth America
Coalition of national, state and local organizations working to improve the ways we plan and build towns, cities and metro areas.
- Green Communities
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Best Practices Report: Green Communities
Foundation for Community Association Research, 2009
- Pennsylvania Makes Progress in Integrating Smart Growth Policies into Economic Development
Keystone Research Center
- Labor Leaders as Smart Growth Advocates: How Union Leaders See Suburban Sprawl and Work for Smart Growth Solutions
Good Jobs First
TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS AND FIX IT FIRST
BUILDING AND FINANCE
- Green Buildings for Cool Cities: A Guide for Advancing Local Green Building Policies, Sierra Club - U.S. Green Building Council
CLEAN (CARBON FREE) ENERGY AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY
- Guide to Community-Based Energy Efficiency Financing
ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability
- New Energy for Cities: Energy-Saving and Job Creation Policies for Local Governments
- Clean Energy Works - Portland (Oregon)
- State Energy Efficiency Resource Standards
Legislative Brief, National Conference of State Legislatures