Funding Priorities Based on American Values
A budget is a reflection of our priorities as a nation. America's working middle class has sacrificed enough with drastic cuts to services. Tax revenues, which fund these services, are still recovering from their lowest point in over three generations, and tax rates are still at historic lows for the wealthiest Americans. The surefire way to bring fairness and balance to the budget is to create jobs, close corporate tax loopholes and require the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share. The issue we face is a revenue problem and a priorities problem — not a spending problem.
- REPORT: A Simple Fix to Make Multinational Corporations Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes
- Fact Sheet: AFSCME Federal Budget Priorities
- REPORT: Taxpayers Subsidize America’s Biggest Employer and Richest Family
- Five Things You Should Know on Tax Day
- Fact Sheet: GOP House Budget Threatens Medicare
- Fact Sheet: Fight Income Inequality
- Americans for Tax Fairness
- Center for Effective Government - Sequestration Central
- Economic Policy Institute - Building a Tax Code for Today
- Center for Effective Government - Revenue & Spending
- Apr 14AFSCME Letter to Representatives Opposing Estate Tax Repeal, HR 1105
- Apr 14AFSCME Letter to Representatives Opposes “Federal Employee Tax Accountability Act” H.R. 1563
- Dec 12Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Concerning Passage of the Omnibus Spending Bill“There is little to celebrate in the omnibus, except that it provides budget certainty for the next nine months for most federal agencies and the state and local governments that carry out many federal programs and funding for Ebola."
The fact is, this spending vs. taxes debate is largely meaningless. Watch our explainer video to learn about corporate tax breaks, the U.S. Government's secret subsidy program that some in...
Coming soon to a community near you: $85 billion in cuts to vital programs that Americans rely on every day. These cuts -- known as The Sequester -- can be...
Hundreds of AFSCME members gathered on Capitol Hill demanding that Congress protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid on February 12, 2013. The rally was part of AFSCME's 2013 Legislative Conference,...
In Boehnerville, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security get cut while the rich get tax breaks.
- May 20 Here’s some wasteful Big Government spending. Why isn’t Fox News outraged? Northrop Grumman improperly charged the U.S. government more than $100 million in “questionable” costs on... (The Washington Post)
- Feb 07 GOP Leaders Hold Back on Lifting Debt Ceiling
- Feb 03 House of Representatives Finally Passes Farm Bill Agreement
- Oct 17 Letter: AFSCME Urges Yes Vote to End Budget Stalemate (House)
- Oct 11 Federal Government Still Shut Down; Endgame Unclear In the absence of federal funds, states have begun to furlough employees and more layoffs... (Legislative Weekly Report)
- Sep 17 AFSCME Urges the U.S. House of Representatives to Reject Proposed SNAP Cuts
- Jul 02 Economic Policy Institute (EPI) launches new website on growing income inequality and how to fix it.
- Jun 14 House Busts the Budget; Year-End Funding Storm Brewing The House Appropriations Committee passed a defense funding bill shifting even deeper cuts to non-defense... (AFSCME FEDERAL LEGISLATIVE REPORT)
- Jun 06 STUDY: Fiscal Austerity Is Undermining Long-Term U.S. Economic Prospects Spending cuts and fiscal contraction are costing America billions of dollars and millions of jobs.... (Center for American Progress)
- May 26 ‘A’ Is for Avoidance Apple is the latest example of how American multinationals avoid taxes. (New York Times)
- May 23 Scott Walker's Austerity Plan: Turning Wisconsin Into the New Greece You don't have to look at Athens, Mykonos or Rhodes to see the damage that... (Huffington Post)
- Mar 01 When Sequestration Hits, Women and Children Bear Heavy Burden of Cuts Let's close the tax loopholes enjoyed by the wealthiest Americans before we make life far... (Huffington Post)
- Mar 24 Big Corporations Cash in on Federal Largesse A study by Good Jobs First, “Uncle Sam’s Favorite Corporations,” details how two-thirds of the $68 billion in business grants and tax credits awarded by the federal government during the past 15 years have gone to large corporations. (Blog)
- Sep 30 Boehner’s Goals Are Not Your Goals It’s the same old playbook, rolled out yet again by House Speaker John Boehner. Reduce government, cut taxes on the wealthiest, limit regulations and lawsuits on businesses, and abandon public schools. (Blog)
- Sep 04 Shhh… Medicare Costs Are Going Down Contrary to conventional wisdom, Medicare costs aren’t a budget buster. The nonpartisan budget scorekeeper, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), reported last week that Medicare spending is declining. (Blog)
- Aug 13 Senate Faction Rejects More Jobs Extremist right-wing senators led by Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) showed their true colors by voting to block a bill that would have meant more jobs for American workers. (Blog)
- Apr 21 PayWatch Raises Awareness about Income Inequality The average CEO in the U.S. made $11.7 million in 2013, or 331 times as much as the average worker. (Blog)
- Mar 28 Addicted to Koch: How Un-American! Sen. Harry Reid joined efforts to call attention to the Koch brothers’ harmful practices. (Blog)
- Mar 21 We Need to Restore Unemployment Benefits Now A bipartisan agreement brings millions of Americans closer to the help they need. (Blog)
- Dec 18 New Study Shows that Corporate Tax Cuts Won’t Create Jobs Republicans argue that we can create jobs by lowering taxes on corporations. A new study shows just how wrong they are. (Blog)
- Dec 16 Sen. Elizabeth Warren to AFSCME Members: It’s Time to Go on Offense One of our champions, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, dropped by AFSCME last week. Read what she had to say to our members. (Blog)
- Oct 16 Iowa Council 61 Questions Governor’s Priorities during Shutdown AFSCME Iowa Council 61 President Homan tells governor to put political posturing aside during federal shutdown. (Blog)
- Oct 02 Dedicated AFSCME Members in DC Still Helping Tourists Federal workers from AFSCME Council 26 just want to get back to work. (Blog)
- Oct 01 It’s Time for Extremists in Congress to Stop Holding our Country Hostage 800,000 federal government employees are out of work, including AFSCME members. (Blog)