Funding Priorities Based on American Values
A budget is a reflection of our priorities as a nation. America's working middle class has sacrificed enough with drastic cuts to services. Tax revenues, which fund these services, are still recovering from their lowest point in over three generations, and tax rates are still at historic lows for the wealthiest Americans. The surefire way to bring fairness and balance to the budget is to create jobs, close corporate tax loopholes and require the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share. The issue we face is a revenue problem and a priorities problem — not a spending problem.
- AFSCME's Budget Priorities 2016
- Federal Budget Priorities Fact Sheet
- REPORT: A Simple Fix to Make Multinational Corporations Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes
- Fact Sheet: AFSCME Federal Budget Priorities
- REPORT: Taxpayers Subsidize America’s Biggest Employer and Richest Family
- Five Things You Should Know on Tax Day
- Fact Sheet: GOP House Budget Threatens Medicare
- Americans for Tax Fairness
- Center for Effective Government - Sequestration Central
- Economic Policy Institute - Building a Tax Code for Today
- Feb 03AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Repeal of Financial Regulations
- Jan 25AFSCME Opposes the Nomination of Rep. Mick Mulvaneyas the Next Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- Jan 23AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Federal Hiring Freeze
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
The fact is, this spending vs. taxes debate is largely meaningless. Watch our explainer video to learn about corporate tax breaks, the U.S. Government's secret subsidy program that some in...
Coming soon to a community near you: $85 billion in cuts to vital programs that Americans rely on every day. These cuts -- known as The Sequester -- can be...
Hundreds of AFSCME members gathered on Capitol Hill demanding that Congress protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid on February 12, 2013. The rally was part of AFSCME's 2013 Legislative Conference,...
- Nov 23 Trump: Where the Rubber Hits the Road If your family anything like mine, there will be plenty of lively debate about politics... (Huffington Post)
- May 20 Here’s some wasteful Big Government spending. Why isn’t Fox News outraged? Northrop Grumman improperly charged the U.S. government more than $100 million in “questionable” costs on... (The Washington Post)
- Feb 07 GOP Leaders Hold Back on Lifting Debt Ceiling
- Feb 03 House of Representatives Finally Passes Farm Bill Agreement
- Oct 17 Letter: AFSCME Urges Yes Vote to End Budget Stalemate (House)
- Oct 11 Federal Government Still Shut Down; Endgame Unclear In the absence of federal funds, states have begun to furlough employees and more layoffs... (Legislative Weekly Report)
- Sep 17 AFSCME Urges the U.S. House of Representatives to Reject Proposed SNAP Cuts
- Jul 02 Economic Policy Institute (EPI) launches new website on growing income inequality and how to fix it.
- Jun 14 House Busts the Budget; Year-End Funding Storm Brewing The House Appropriations Committee passed a defense funding bill shifting even deeper cuts to non-defense... (AFSCME FEDERAL LEGISLATIVE REPORT)
- Jun 06 STUDY: Fiscal Austerity Is Undermining Long-Term U.S. Economic Prospects Spending cuts and fiscal contraction are costing America billions of dollars and millions of jobs.... (Center for American Progress)
- May 26 ‘A’ Is for Avoidance Apple is the latest example of how American multinationals avoid taxes. (New York Times)
- May 23 Scott Walker's Austerity Plan: Turning Wisconsin Into the New Greece You don't have to look at Athens, Mykonos or Rhodes to see the damage that... (Huffington Post)
- Feb 06 What Trump's Infrastructure Plan is Really About President Donald Trump says has a plan to rebuild America's crumbling infrastructure, but here's what his plan is REALLY about. (Blog)
- Jan 25 Where’s Palin When You Need Her? As part of his plan to replace the Affordable Care Act, the Trump administration is floating an idea long popular with many Republican lawmakers to convert Medicaid into a block-grant program. (Blog)
- Jan 24 Senate Infrastructure Plan Is What Our Country Needs Senate Democrats today proposed a plan to invest in our nation’s infrastructure, from roads and bridges to broadband internet and school buildings, and create 15 million new jobs. (Blog)
- Jan 24 Trump’s Wrong Choice for OMB Trump’s choice to head the Office of Management and Budget wants to make huge, arbitrary cuts that will cost America jobs and could send our economy into a tailspin. (Blog)
- Nov 23 Providing Economic Security for All Generations With the election behind us, we need to make sure the incoming administration truly understands the pressures working families face — and often, the intergenerational nature of those pressures. (Blog)
- Sep 27 Presidential Debate Reaffirms Clinton as Choice for Working Families Working families across the country tuned in to watch last night’s Presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, and what they saw should reaffirm their choice of Hillary Clinton for President of the United States. (Blog)
- Sep 26 Corporations Rake in Profits, so Trump Wants to Lower their Taxes. Huh? Corporate profits are soaring but taxes on those profits are at near record lows, reports the Economic Policy Institute and Americans for Tax Fairness. (Blog)
- Sep 09 AFSCME Rallies with Mine Workers to Keep the Promise AFSCME stood in solidarity with thousands of coal miners to demand that Congress approve legislation to secure their retiree healthcare and pension benefits. (Blog)
- May 24 Let’s Take On Wall Street by Demanding Real Changes from Congress We’re demanding real change for working people everywhere. #TakeOnWallSt (Blog)
- Apr 18 Super-Rich Hiding Trillions from Taxman The Panama Papers leak shows that ultra-rich individuals and corporations are hiding assets and not paying their fair share in taxes. (Blog)
- Feb 12 Budget Proposal Includes Help for Working Families With his latest budget proposal, President Obama is sending a strong message to Congress: the economy may be improving, but without serious investments in healthcare, education and infrastructure, the middle class will be left behind. (Blog)
- Feb 01 Why Hillary Clinton Matters to Iowans AFSCME Iowa Council 61 Pres. Danny Homan: “In 2016, our candidate for president is Hillary Clinton. Put simply, she gets it.” (Blog)