Funding Priorities Based on American Values
A budget is a reflection of our priorities as a nation. America's working middle class has sacrificed enough with drastic cuts to services. Tax revenues, which fund these services, are still recovering from their lowest point in over three generations, and tax rates are still at historic lows for the wealthiest Americans. The surefire way to bring fairness and balance to the budget is to create jobs, close corporate tax loopholes and require the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share. The issue we face is a revenue problem and a priorities problem — not a spending problem.
- Fact Sheet: AFSCME Federal Budget Priorities
- REPORT: Taxpayers Subsidize America’s Biggest Employer and Richest Family
- Five Things You Should Know on Tax Day
- Fact Sheet: GOP House Budget Threatens Medicare
- Fact Sheet: Fight Income Inequality
- Americans for Tax Fairness
- Economic Policy Institute - What Impact has the Sequester had on State Governments?
- Center for Effective Government - Sequestration Central
- Economic Policy Institute - Building a Tax Code for Today
- Center for Effective Government - Revenue & Spending
- Apr 10AFSCME Opposes the Ryan Budget
- Apr 10AFSCME President Blasts House Approval of Budget for WealthyAFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders released the following statement following the House approval of the budget drafted by Rep. Paul Ryan.
- Apr 07AFSCME Applauds Senate Approval of Jobless Aid and Calls on House to Act Without DelayAFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders issued the following statement today on the Senate’s approval of jobless aid to millions of Americans.
The fact is, this spending vs. taxes debate is largely meaningless. Watch our explainer video to learn about corporate tax breaks, the U.S. Government's secret subsidy program that some in...
Coming soon to a community near you: $85 billion in cuts to vital programs that Americans rely on every day. These cuts -- known as The Sequester -- can be...
Hundreds of AFSCME members gathered on Capitol Hill demanding that Congress protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid on February 12, 2013. The rally was part of AFSCME's 2013 Legislative Conference,...
In Boehnerville, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security get cut while the rich get tax breaks.
- Oct 11 Federal Government Still Shut Down; Endgame Unclear In the absence of federal funds, states have begun to furlough employees and more layoffs... (Legislative Weekly Report)
- Sep 17 AFSCME Urges the U.S. House of Representatives to Reject Proposed SNAP Cuts
- Jul 02 Economic Policy Institute (EPI) launches new website on growing income inequality and how to fix it.
- Jun 14 House Busts the Budget; Year-End Funding Storm Brewing The House Appropriations Committee passed a defense funding bill shifting even deeper cuts to non-defense... (AFSCME FEDERAL LEGISLATIVE REPORT)
- Jun 06 STUDY: Fiscal Austerity Is Undermining Long-Term U.S. Economic Prospects Spending cuts and fiscal contraction are costing America billions of dollars and millions of jobs.... (Center for American Progress)
- May 26 ‘A’ Is for Avoidance Apple is the latest example of how American multinationals avoid taxes. (New York Times)
- May 23 Scott Walker's Austerity Plan: Turning Wisconsin Into the New Greece You don't have to look at Athens, Mykonos or Rhodes to see the damage that... (Huffington Post)
- Mar 01 When Sequestration Hits, Women and Children Bear Heavy Burden of Cuts Let's close the tax loopholes enjoyed by the wealthiest Americans before we make life far... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 15 Massive Cuts are Coming Unless We Work Together It’s time to pull together to prepare America for the future. Together, we must be... (Huffington Post)
- Mar 28 Addicted to Koch: How Un-American! Sen. Harry Reid joined efforts to call attention to the Koch brothers’ harmful practices. (Blog)
- Mar 21 We Need to Restore Unemployment Benefits Now A bipartisan agreement brings millions of Americans closer to the help they need. (Blog)
- Dec 18 New Study Shows that Corporate Tax Cuts Won’t Create Jobs Republicans argue that we can create jobs by lowering taxes on corporations. A new study shows just how wrong they are. (Blog)
- Dec 16 Sen. Elizabeth Warren to AFSCME Members: It’s Time to Go on Offense One of our champions, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, dropped by AFSCME last week. Read what she had to say to our members. (Blog)
- Oct 16 Iowa Council 61 Questions Governor’s Priorities during Shutdown AFSCME Iowa Council 61 President Homan tells governor to put political posturing aside during federal shutdown. (Blog)
- Oct 02 Dedicated AFSCME Members in DC Still Helping Tourists Federal workers from AFSCME Council 26 just want to get back to work. (Blog)
- Oct 01 It’s Time for Extremists in Congress to Stop Holding our Country Hostage 800,000 federal government employees are out of work, including AFSCME members. (Blog)
- Sep 18 SNAP Out of It: We Need to Measure Poverty Accurately Snapshots of poverty in the U.S. don’t capture families that rely on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program to feed children (Blog)
- Sep 12 Stein Honored for Reporting on Sequestration’s Toll on Working People Stein’s reporting helped reveal the dangerous impact of the cuts, even as others turn away. (Blog)
- Aug 26 Wages Stagnant for Most Workers Several factors, including globalization, deregulation and weaker unions, have caused 34 years of weak wage growth. (Blog)
- Aug 08 President Saunders on MSNBC: We March to Change Our Country for the Better On PoliticsNation, Pres. Lee Saunders discussed the fight for civil rights and opportunity in America. (Blog)
- Jun 11 Corporate Taxes Should Not be Cut, New EPI Report Concludes Cutting tax rates will not help the economy (Blog)