Social Security and Medicare Matter to All of Us
No matter how young or old we are, Social Security and Medicare are vital to our retirement and health security. Both are benefits we “earn” on the job, by making payroll contributions throughout our working lives.
AFSCME is proud of our leading role in the creation of Medicare. We fight to strengthen and protect Medicare and Social Security for this and the next generation. We will continue to fight against efforts to cut, dismantle or privatize these successful public programs that matter to all families.
- Feb 16AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on House GOP Health Care Plan
- Feb 09AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Price Nomination
- Jul 14AFSCME Letter on H.R. 711 Urging Congress to Repeal both GPO & WEPRepealing the Government Pension Offset (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) will address the serious inequities for current and future public worker retirees.
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
Hundreds of AFSCME retirees gathered in Las Vegas for the convention of the labor-supported Alliance for Retired Americans. They came to fight for retirement security for current and future retirees,...
The fact is, this spending vs. taxes debate is largely meaningless. Watch our explainer video to learn about corporate tax breaks, the U.S. Government's secret subsidy program that some in...
- Apr 21 Let Medicare negotiate drug prices: Our view The real drug-spending problem is Medicare's "Part D" prescription plan (USA Today)
- Sep 23 Why Seniors Should Say 'No' to Paying for the Medicare Doctor-Fix Congress is floating a proposal that would require people covered by Medicare to fork over... (Huffiingtonpost)
- May 30 Immigrants Help Medicare Trust Fund Researchers found immigrants contributed $13.8 billion more to Medicare….. (HealthAffairs)
- Apr 09 Big Pharma Pockets $711 Billion in Profits by Price-Gouging Taxpayers and Seniors The pharmaceutical industry derived much of that profit from price-gouging the Medicare.... (Health Care for America Now)
- Mar 27 White House warns cutting Medicare will shift costs If Congress addresses the nation's budget deficit by cutting Medicare… (USA Today)
- Mar 14 The Ryan Budget Includes Devastating Health Care Cost Increases for Seniors—Again The misguided budget proposes replacing traditional Medicare benefits for seniors with a voucher …. (Center for American Progress)
- Mar 05 Republicans revisit Medicare reform to cut spending Republicans are launching a new phase in their austerity campaign — resurrecting the plan to... (Los Angeles Times)
- Feb 21 Business owners urge Congress to take Medicare, Social Security cuts off the table 80 percent of business owners said they oppose proposals to save federal money by curbing... (Washington Post)
- Feb 08 HHS report: Medicare prescription drug savings hit $5.7B Seniors have saved about $5.7 billion on prescription drugs since January 2011 because of provisions... (USA TODAY)
- Feb 04 Link Between Poor Health And Seniors Switching Out Of Private Medicare Plans New research findings fuel concerns that the private plans don’t provide the most attractive care... (Kaiser Health News)
- Feb 01 Americans are willing to pay more for Social Security Very large majorities across every age group, political affiliation and income group said they would... (Reuters)
- Jan 25 Six in ten Americans oppose any cuts to Medicare and Social Security New poll finds most Americans would not be willing to see any reductions in Medicare,... (Kaiser Family Foundation/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health)
- Feb 15 We Must Be Vigilant on Health Care The Affordable Care Act, Medicare, and Medicaid are all at risk of being gutted. It’s up to us to protect them. (Blog)
- Feb 14 Paying the “Price” for New HHS Secretary AFSCME International president explains why older Americans are particularly vulnerable now that the Senate has confirmed Tom Price as the next secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. (Blog)
- Feb 09 Tom Price Is Bad for Your Health The man President Trump chose to oversee our nation’s health care system, Tom Price, believes tax cuts for the wealthy are more important than health and retirement security for working families. (Blog)
- Jan 24 Trump’s Wrong Choice for OMB Trump’s choice to head the Office of Management and Budget wants to make huge, arbitrary cuts that will cost America jobs and could send our economy into a tailspin. (Blog)
- Jan 17 Tom Price Is Coming for Your Health Care Hearings start Wednesday for Donald Trump’s choice for Secretary of Health and Human Services, and we have some questions for him. (Blog)
- Jan 13 Let’s Not Forget: Obamacare Saves Lives The Affordable Care Act barred insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions and made it possible for 30 million people to get insured. (Blog)
- Jan 05 Public Services or Private Services? Trump’s Picks Favor Privatization All Around Donald Trump’s choices for his administration are ready to give the store away when they get into office, privatizing public services and even Social Security and Medicare. (Blog)
- Jan 04 Congress Poised to Act Against Working Families Worried about the new Congress? You should be. Congressional leaders have working families in their sights, and we all need to be prepared to fight back. (Blog)
- Aug 05 Victory for Seniors: AARP Drops Membership in Right-Wing ALEC Good news! AARP Drops Membership in Right-Wing ALEC Group (Blog)
- Mar 07 Never Quit: Louise Lex, 86, Just Wants to Help People Louise Lex, 86, personifies the theme of National Women’s History Month: “Honoring Women in Public Service and Government.” (Blog)
- Mar 03 Frances Perkins: Making History This Women’s History Month we remember former Secretary of Labor Frances Perkins, a trailblazer for women and for all working people. (Blog)
- Dec 26 For Younger Workers, Creeping Doubts Once upon a time, there was retirement security... (Blog)