Social Security and Medicare Matter to All of Us
No matter how young or old we are, Social Security and Medicare are vital to our retirement and health security. Both are benefits we “earn” on the job, by making payroll contributions throughout our working lives.
AFSCME is proud of our leading role in the creation of Medicare. We fight to strengthen and protect Medicare and Social Security for this and the next generation. We will continue to fight against efforts to cut, dismantle or privatize these successful public programs that matter to all families.
- Dec 18Letter to President Obama Concerning Health Care Provisions in the Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement
- Jul 24Statement for the Record by AFSCME for the Hearing on the Future of Medicare Advantage Health Plans
- Apr 30AFSCME urges Congress to Protect Medicare from “legal” waste, fraud and abuse
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
Hundreds of AFSCME retirees gathered in Las Vegas for the convention of the labor-supported Alliance for Retired Americans. They came to fight for retirement security for current and future retirees,...
The fact is, this spending vs. taxes debate is largely meaningless. Watch our explainer video to learn about corporate tax breaks, the U.S. Government's secret subsidy program that some in...
- Apr 21 Let Medicare negotiate drug prices: Our view The real drug-spending problem is Medicare's "Part D" prescription plan (USA Today)
- Sep 23 Why Seniors Should Say 'No' to Paying for the Medicare Doctor-Fix Congress is floating a proposal that would require people covered by Medicare to fork over... (Huffiingtonpost)
- May 30 Immigrants Help Medicare Trust Fund Researchers found immigrants contributed $13.8 billion more to Medicare….. (HealthAffairs)
- Apr 09 Big Pharma Pockets $711 Billion in Profits by Price-Gouging Taxpayers and Seniors The pharmaceutical industry derived much of that profit from price-gouging the Medicare.... (Health Care for America Now)
- Mar 27 White House warns cutting Medicare will shift costs If Congress addresses the nation's budget deficit by cutting Medicare… (USA Today)
- Mar 14 The Ryan Budget Includes Devastating Health Care Cost Increases for Seniors—Again The misguided budget proposes replacing traditional Medicare benefits for seniors with a voucher …. (Center for American Progress)
- Mar 05 Republicans revisit Medicare reform to cut spending Republicans are launching a new phase in their austerity campaign — resurrecting the plan to... (Los Angeles Times)
- Feb 21 Business owners urge Congress to take Medicare, Social Security cuts off the table 80 percent of business owners said they oppose proposals to save federal money by curbing... (Washington Post)
- Feb 08 HHS report: Medicare prescription drug savings hit $5.7B Seniors have saved about $5.7 billion on prescription drugs since January 2011 because of provisions... (USA TODAY)
- Feb 04 Link Between Poor Health And Seniors Switching Out Of Private Medicare Plans New research findings fuel concerns that the private plans don’t provide the most attractive care... (Kaiser Health News)
- Feb 01 Americans are willing to pay more for Social Security Very large majorities across every age group, political affiliation and income group said they would... (Reuters)
- Jan 25 Six in ten Americans oppose any cuts to Medicare and Social Security New poll finds most Americans would not be willing to see any reductions in Medicare,... (Kaiser Family Foundation/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health)
- Mar 07 Never Quit: Louise Lex, 86, Just Wants to Help People Louise Lex, 86, personifies the theme of National Women’s History Month: “Honoring Women in Public Service and Government.” (Blog)
- Mar 03 Frances Perkins: Making History This Women’s History Month we remember former Secretary of Labor Frances Perkins, a trailblazer for women and for all working people. (Blog)
- Dec 26 For Younger Workers, Creeping Doubts Once upon a time, there was retirement security... (Blog)
- Aug 14 Here's to 80 Years of Social Security -- and at Least 80 More Social Security is a major source of income for most of the seniors in this country; 9 out of 10 individuals older than 65 receive Social Security retirement payments. It’s one of our most beloved government institutions. (Blog)
- Jul 27 Jeb Bush: ‘Phase Out Medicare’ Medicare provides quality, affordable health care to seniors. It also is in its strongest fiscal shape in years thanks to the Affordable Care Act. So why does Republican Presidential candidate JEB! Bush want to “phase out this program?” (Blog)
- Jul 10 Retirees Build on Success, Look to Protect Retirement Security More than 100 retirees gathered for the Alliance for Retired Americans Legislative Conference and the Annual AFSCME Retiree Council meeting in the nation’s capital this week, lobbying lawmakers to protect Social Security, Medicare and public pensions. (Blog)
- Jun 01 Retirement Security Fight Focused on Younger Workers The White House Conference on Aging closed its regional meetings with AFSCME members from Rhode Island and Massachusetts demanding that retirement solutions be focused on protecting working people in their later years. (Blog)
- Apr 08 Retirees Demand Real Retirement Security at White House Events Seniors called on officials to stand up and protect programs that offer real retirement security for Americans as regional White House forums continued in Phoenix and Seattle. (Blog)
- Mar 20 Low Savings Mean Retirement Insecurity Pensions have all but vanished in most workplaces, replaced (if at all) by 401(k)-style savings plans that leave whatever dollars that are put aside for the long haul to the wild gyrations of the stock market. (Blog)
- Jan 08 Congress' First Act: Attack on Social Security The corporate-led effort to undermine the nation’s social safety net got off to a quick start in the new Congress, led by extremist lawmakers who ultimately want to privatize Social Security. (Blog)
- Dec 23 ‘Dreaming of a Fair Governor’ in Missouri Home care attendants, their clients and community members last week visited the home of Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, singing him such Christmas carols as “Home Care Workers Are Coming to Town” and “I’m Dreaming of a Fair Governor.” (Blog)
- Oct 27 Retirees, AFSCME President Talk Midterm Elections’ Importance Last week, thousands of retiree members across the country participated in an AFSCME Retirees teletown hall with AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders to discuss what’s at stake in the fall elections and commit to volunteer in the final days of the campaign. (Blog)