It’s Unwise to Privatize
Driven by wrong-minded public officials and corporate greed, contracts for public services are doled out without regard to cost effectiveness or quality. Time and time again, the public pays more and gets lower quality of services while public workers are laid off and corruption scandals make the news. AFSCME is fighting hard to preserve quality public services, ensure that public service employees are treated fairly and hold elected officials accountable to the public.
2011 was a pivotal year for the working middle class. It started with the scapegoating of public service workers for the country's economic woes, and continued with unprecedented attacks on...
America's working class is part of the solution. We're fed up with attacks from politicians backed by Wall Street bankers. We won't let them take our rights. We wont let...
Public workers in Richmond City, Ohio call for a real voice in the workplace.
AFSCME's latest television spot, entitled "Doors," focuses on the choice voters face in the November mid-term election. More here: http://www.afscme.org/press/29088.cfm The television spot will run for two weeks in media...
- Feb 14 AG Kathleen Kane rejects Pennsylvania lottery privatization contract Attorney General will not sign a contract to turn over management of the lottery to... (The Patriot-News)
- Jul 03 Economic Pressures On Local Governments Kerry Korpi discusses economic pressures on local governments and the push to privatize public services.... (NPR)
- Feb 01 Florida Prisons Bill Would Expand Private Management, Netting A Big Win For Political Contributors State could hand over a major slice of its prison system to private, for-profit businesses.... (Huffington Post)
- Jun 24 Report: Private Prisons Love Mass Incarceration, And Want Politicians To Love It Too Major private prison companies have an incentive to encourage policies which increase populations. (Talking Points Memo)
- Jun 17 Privatization At The Heart Of Divisive Battles In Wisconsin Secretary-Treasurer Lee Saunders: what Walker is doing is "a power play, pure and simple." (Huffington Post)
- Jun 15 LEAKED: Secret Report on Jindal's Privatization Plan Louisiana effort to privatize health insurance would increase premiums according to confidential report. (Talking Points Memo)
- Jun 06 Gov. Jindal's plan to sell state prisons is killed by House committee Louisiana House deals governor a tough loss on a top priority for his administration. (Times-Picayune)
- May 31 Private prisons see opposition A proposal to privatize six prisons in Ohio faces opposition from a coalition of non-profit... (Marion Star)
- May 19 Private Prisons Found to Offer Little in Savings Data from Arizona suggests privately operated prisons can cost more to operate than state-run prisons.... (New York Times)
- May 17 Scott Walker Quietly Consolidating Power In Wisconsin Secretary of State Doug La Follette: "It's a power grab. He wants to control everything."... (Huffington Post)
- Apr 15 ACLU warns against plan to sell state prisons Privatizing Ohio prisons won't save money, will undermine sentencing reform and will post a security... (THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH)
- Apr 12 Countering the Siege AFSCME President McEntee on how attacks on public service workers have energized union members and... (New York Times)
- May 06 Your Story Can Make a Difference The work you do every day makes a difference. So do your stories. Share your story at www.afscme.org/story. (Blog)
- May 02 CSEA Demands Investigation into Hiring of Former New York Lottery Director Gordon Medenica negotiated a $25-million contract with GTECH to privatize state jobs. (Blog)
- Apr 04 So Long, “Owlcatraz” GEO Group cancels plan to purchase naming rights to Florida Atlantic University’s football stadium. (Blog)
- Mar 06 Mother Jones’ Hit Job on Unions: With Friends Like These... Magazine inaccurately attacks public service employees who work every day to help our communities. (Blog)
- Feb 27 Private Prison Company Buys Florida Atlantic University Stadium Name GEO Group has long history of unsafe and inhumane conditions at facilities (Blog)
- Feb 25 Illegal sale of Pennsylvania lotto blocked by state attorney general Pennsylvania attorney general rules lotto privatization effort unconstitutional. (Blog)
- Feb 14 AFSCME Members Take their Message to the Hill Workers from across the country went to Capitol Hill on Wednesday to lobby their legislators. (Blog)
- Feb 06 In Private Hands, Safety Issues Quickly Arise in Ohio Prison The Lake Erie Correctional Institution was sold in 2011 under Gov. John Kasich’s administration. (Blog)
- Jan 15 Register Now for Dynamic Legislative Conference Want to raise your voice for workers? Come to Washington, DC, and do just that. (Blog)
- Dec 04 Florida Privatization Scheme Illegal, Judge Rules Decision: State illegally bypassed Legislature to implement Gov. Rick Scott’s scheme. (Blog)
- Oct 24 America’s Workers Fed Up With Romney’s Say Anything Strategy You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool AFSCME members any time. (Blog)
- Oct 15 Romney-Ryan Medicare Plan Picks Seniors’ Pockets Changing Medicare to a “voucher” system means higher premiums for 6 out of 10 seniors. (Blog)