AFSCME’s 1.6 million active and retired members have more than 1 trillion dollars in retirement assets invested in public pension systems across the country. The magnitude of these assets can make us a major player in the financial markets. We must work to ensure that this money is invested so that the retirement benefits promised to public employees are safe and secure.
- Jun 29AFSCME Letter (Sign-On): Opposes Override of President Obama's Veto of Resolution (H.J. Res 88) to Overturn DOL RuleAFSCME Letter (Sign-On): Protects Retirement Savers’ Best Interests & Opposes Override of President Obama’s Veto of Resolution (H.J. Res 88) to Overturn Labor Department’s Final Fiduciary Rule (6/21/16)
- Jun 22AFSCME President Lee Saunders on the 2016 Social Security and Medicare Trustees Report
- May 27AFSCME Letter (Sign-On) Protecting Retirment Savers' Best Interest & Opposing Senate Resolution (H.J. Res 88) to Overturn DOL's Rule (5/20/16)AFSCME Letter to Congress Opposing Senate's H.J. Res. 88, a resolution to block the Department of Labor's (DOL) rule which ensures investment advisors provide advice in the best interest of retirement savers.
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
Hundreds of AFSCME retirees gathered in Las Vegas for the convention of the labor-supported Alliance for Retired Americans. They came to fight for retirement security for current and future retirees,...
Hundreds of AFSCME members gathered on Capitol Hill demanding that Congress protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid on February 12, 2013. The rally was part of AFSCME's 2013 Legislative Conference,...
2011 was a pivotal year for the working middle class. It started with the scapegoating of public service workers for the country's economic woes, and continued with unprecedented attacks on...
- Nov 23 Trump: Where the Rubber Hits the Road If your family anything like mine, there will be plenty of lively debate about politics... (Huffington Post)
- Feb 02 We Built the Middle Class, and We Can Rebuild It The benefits to workers who form a union are concrete and undeniable. Unionized workers earn... (Roll Call)
- Jul 11 PA: Prison guard union's appeal denied A Commonwealth Court panel yesterday denied an appeal by the AFSCME city prison guards union... (Daily News)
- Feb 21 Business owners urge Congress to take Medicare, Social Security cuts off the table 80 percent of business owners said they oppose proposals to save federal money by curbing... (Washington Post)
- Jan 25 Six in ten Americans oppose any cuts to Medicare and Social Security New poll finds most Americans would not be willing to see any reductions in Medicare,... (Kaiser Family Foundation/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health)
- Sep 12 New Report on Harm to Medicare by Repealing Obamacare Repeal of the ACA would make Medicare's trust fund insolvent in 2016, and increase costs...
- Jun 28 What the Health Care Ruling Means for Medicare Medicare improvements could have evaporated had the law been overturned, so the ruling generated sighs... (The New York Times)
- Jan 13 Killing Pensions to Benefit the 1 Percent The Wall Street Journal continues its push to gut the retirement security of millions of... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 02 California pension system not in crisis Despite those who claim otherwise, the sky is not falling on the California pension system.... (San Francisco Chronicle)
- Jun 18 Cuomo and Pensions: A View From a Union Leader Pension costs grew due to the financial crisis, not because benefit levels are too high.... (New York Times)
- Apr 20 Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem Despite growing concerns about the country’s long-term fiscal problems and an intensifying debate in Washington... (The Washington Post)
- Apr 12 Countering the Siege AFSCME President McEntee on how attacks on public service workers have energized union members and... (New York Times)
- Jan 04 Congress Poised to Act Against Working Families Worried about the new Congress? You should be. Congressional leaders have working families in their sights, and we all need to be prepared to fight back. (Blog)
- Dec 22 A One-Two Punch to the Average American The incoming Trump administration is getting ready to deliver a one-two punch to working families by undoing two Obama labor laws that would have put more money in our pockets. (Blog)
- Nov 23 Providing Economic Security for All Generations With the election behind us, we need to make sure the incoming administration truly understands the pressures working families face — and often, the intergenerational nature of those pressures. (Blog)
- Oct 03 Play “Feeding the Dragon” Recalls Life with Dad, a DC 37 Member The late George King Washington was New York City Public Library live-in custodian and a proud DC 37 member. Now he’s the subject of his daughter’s play. (Blog)
- Aug 05 Victory for Seniors: AARP Drops Membership in Right-Wing ALEC Good news! AARP Drops Membership in Right-Wing ALEC Group (Blog)
- Jun 01 Don’t Let Wall Street Grab Your Retirement Savings Financial advisers are not required by law to put your best interests over theirs. President Obama’s trying to fix that but the right-wing lawmakers are blocking the way. (Blog)
- Dec 26 For Younger Workers, Creeping Doubts Once upon a time, there was retirement security... (Blog)
- Dec 08 DC 37 Members Lobby for Puerto Rico Support Members of New York DC 37 came to Washington last week to advocate for federal support for Puerto Rico. (Blog)
- Oct 30 How 100 CEOs Equal 50 Million Families Shocking new study shows the top 100 CEOs have as much retirement assets as 41 percent of all American families. (Blog)
- Oct 22 ‘It Just Takes One Person to Change the World’ When mechanic Charlie Blackwell went to work at Florida International University shortly after it opened in the 1970s, he knew the name of everyone on campus. FIU is now huge, and as the AFSCME Local 3346 member retires, just about everybody knows him. (Blog)
- Oct 08 White House Spotlights Importance of Unions President Obama hosted a “White House Summit on Worker Voice” Oct. 7 that focused on the importance of unions in the modern economy, a welcome national spotlight that comes as more Americans say they approve of unions. (Blog)
- Aug 14 Here's to 80 Years of Social Security -- and at Least 80 More Social Security is a major source of income for most of the seniors in this country; 9 out of 10 individuals older than 65 receive Social Security retirement payments. It’s one of our most beloved government institutions. (Blog)