AFSCME’s 1.6 million active and retired members have more than 1 trillion dollars in retirement assets invested in public pension systems across the country. The magnitude of these assets can make us a major player in the financial markets. We must work to ensure that this money is invested so that the retirement benefits promised to public employees are safe and secure.
- Feb 18Institutional Investors Press Companies for Disclosure of Lobbying in 2014 Shareholder resolutions filed with 48 companies by 60 institutional and individual investors.
- Dec 04AFSCME's Saunders: “Ruling Paves The Way For The Decimation Of Detroit’s Working Class.”
- Jul 19Court Rules in Favor of AFSCME Members, Detroit Bankruptcy IllegalStatement by AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders: Snyder and Orr are not above the law and cannot ignore the Michigan constitution
Hundreds of AFSCME retirees gathered in Las Vegas for the convention of the labor-supported Alliance for Retired Americans. They came to fight for retirement security for current and future retirees,...
Hundreds of AFSCME members gathered on Capitol Hill demanding that Congress protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid on February 12, 2013. The rally was part of AFSCME's 2013 Legislative Conference,...
2011 was a pivotal year for the working middle class. It started with the scapegoating of public service workers for the country's economic woes, and continued with unprecedented attacks on...
http://afsc.me/stopthelies Don't let Wall Street destroy the backbone of America! We the taxpayers bailed out Wall Street yet to divert attention, they want you to believe that public service workers...
- Jul 11 PA: Prison guard union's appeal denied A Commonwealth Court panel yesterday denied an appeal by the AFSCME city prison guards union... (Daily News)
- Feb 21 Business owners urge Congress to take Medicare, Social Security cuts off the table 80 percent of business owners said they oppose proposals to save federal money by curbing... (Washington Post)
- Jan 25 Six in ten Americans oppose any cuts to Medicare and Social Security New poll finds most Americans would not be willing to see any reductions in Medicare,... (Kaiser Family Foundation/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health)
- Sep 12 New Report on Harm to Medicare by Repealing Obamacare Repeal of the ACA would make Medicare's trust fund insolvent in 2016, and increase costs...
- Jun 28 What the Health Care Ruling Means for Medicare Medicare improvements could have evaporated had the law been overturned, so the ruling generated sighs... (The New York Times)
- Jan 13 Killing Pensions to Benefit the 1 Percent The Wall Street Journal continues its push to gut the retirement security of millions of... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 02 California pension system not in crisis Despite those who claim otherwise, the sky is not falling on the California pension system.... (San Francisco Chronicle)
- Jun 18 Cuomo and Pensions: A View From a Union Leader Pension costs grew due to the financial crisis, not because benefit levels are too high.... (New York Times)
- Apr 20 Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem Despite growing concerns about the country’s long-term fiscal problems and an intensifying debate in Washington... (The Washington Post)
- Apr 12 Countering the Siege AFSCME President McEntee on how attacks on public service workers have energized union members and... (New York Times)
- Mar 11 Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signs anti-union bill -- but Democrats say they're the political victors Lee A. Saunders, secretary-treasurer of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, told... (CBS News Political Hotsheet)
- Oct 03 Going Door to Door in Fight for Right to Retire with Dignity Phoenix city workers’ pensions hang in the balance this November as a right-wing group pushes a ballot measure that would replace secure retirement plans with 401(k)s. (Blog)
- Sep 18 Senator Warren, Koch Sisters Lead Rally to Protect Social Security, Medicare U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren rallied some 300 activists on Capitol Hill Thursday. She was joined by the anti-Koch brothers “Koch Sisters” and several other members of Congress who promised to stand strong against tea-party attacks on the social safety net. (Blog)
- Jul 03 Court Backs Illinois Retirees on Health Care In a major blow to a state plan that would have imposed new costs on retired state workers, the Illinois Supreme Court has ruled that the health benefits included in pension packages are protected under state law. (Blog)
- Jun 02 AFSCME Retirees Attend ARA Convention in Las Vegas AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders was a featured speaker at the event. (Blog)
- May 08 What Moms Really Want We know that our issues are at the heart of how we support working families in America and how we must strengthen our nation's fragile economic health. (Blog)
- Apr 23 Union Families, Not Just Members, Are Better Off Workers with union contracts are far more likely to receive benefits their families can use. (Blog)
- Apr 17 California Pensions Boost State Economic Growth A new study concludes that CalPERS creates more than $30 billion in economic growth each year. (Blog)
- Apr 07 New Data Show Real Truth About Public Pensions A new Quarterly Survey shows many public pensions are in a healthy position and others are on the mend. (Blog)
- Apr 07 Detroit Retirees Rally against Cuts to Pension Benefits The city’s proposal would cut pension checks by up to 34 percent. (Blog)
- Mar 24 Defending Our Retirement Security I’m not looking for anyone’s pity. Nor am I saying I deserve a secure retirement more than anyone else. I’m just looking to set the record straight. (Blog)
- Mar 13 AFSCME Retiree Makes Big Impact through PEOPLE Retiree Dennis Patrick sends $500 check to AFSCME’s political action program. (Blog)
- Feb 04 Indiana Union Members Protect Retirement Security, Win Fight Against Corporate Welfare Legislators voted unanimously against pension outsourcing that would pack corporate coffers with unnecessary fees (Blog)