AFSCME’s 1.6 million active and retired members have more than 1 trillion dollars in retirement assets invested in public pension systems across the country. The magnitude of these assets can make us a major player in the financial markets. We must work to ensure that this money is invested so that the retirement benefits promised to public employees are safe and secure.
- Aug 30Massachusetts Workers Blast Mitt Romney: “Romney and His Corporate-Backed Allies in Washington Would Only Make Matters Worse”
- Aug 29Wisconsin Retirees: Paul Ryan Would “Tear Seniors’ Safety Net to Shreds”
- Aug 11AFSCME’s Saunders: Choice Between Obama-Biden and Romney-Ryan “Couldn’t Be Any Clearer”Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders following Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate
2011 was a pivotal year for the working middle class. It started with the scapegoating of public service workers for the country's economic woes, and continued with unprecedented attacks on...
http://afsc.me/stopthelies Don't let Wall Street destroy the backbone of America! We the taxpayers bailed out Wall Street yet to divert attention, they want you to believe that public service workers...
AFSCME President Gerald W. McEntee's remarks at the news conference to launch the Strengthen Social Security campaign held at the National Press Club in Washington, DC on July 29, 2010....
- Feb 21 Business owners urge Congress to take Medicare, Social Security cuts off the table 80 percent of business owners said they oppose proposals to save federal money by curbing... (Washington Post)
- Jan 25 Six in ten Americans oppose any cuts to Medicare and Social Security New poll finds most Americans would not be willing to see any reductions in Medicare,... (Kaiser Family Foundation/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard School of Public Health)
- Sep 12 New Report on Harm to Medicare by Repealing Obamacare Repeal of the ACA would make Medicare's trust fund insolvent in 2016, and increase costs...
- Jun 28 What the Health Care Ruling Means for Medicare Medicare improvements could have evaporated had the law been overturned, so the ruling generated sighs... (The New York Times)
- Jan 13 Killing Pensions to Benefit the 1 Percent The Wall Street Journal continues its push to gut the retirement security of millions of... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 02 California pension system not in crisis Despite those who claim otherwise, the sky is not falling on the California pension system.... (San Francisco Chronicle)
- Jun 18 Cuomo and Pensions: A View From a Union Leader Pension costs grew due to the financial crisis, not because benefit levels are too high.... (New York Times)
- Apr 20 Poll shows Americans oppose entitlement cuts to deal with debt problem Despite growing concerns about the country’s long-term fiscal problems and an intensifying debate in Washington... (The Washington Post)
- Apr 12 Countering the Siege AFSCME President McEntee on how attacks on public service workers have energized union members and... (New York Times)
- May 06 Your Story Can Make a Difference The work you do every day makes a difference. So do your stories. Share your story at www.afscme.org/story. (Blog)
- May 02 In Puerto Rico, Retirees Come Together to Form New AFSCME Retiree Chapter Puerto Rico Retiree Chapter 95 already has more than 2,200 members and continues to grow. (Blog)
- May 01 AFSCME Members Prevail in Florida Pension Fight State Senate rejects ALEC-backed plan that would have undermined workers’ retirement security. (Blog)
- Apr 08 Protecting Retirement Security through a Pension City of Little Rock, Ark., is switching to a pension system to protect retirees. (Blog)
- Feb 21 American Workers Headed for Retirement Insecurity Decrease in traditional pensions, upheaval in financial markets make future retirees worse-off than previous generations. (Blog)
- Jan 15 Register Now for Dynamic Legislative Conference Want to raise your voice for workers? Come to Washington, DC, and do just that. (Blog)
- Dec 21 Wall Street Journal Duo: You’re Not Working Hard Enough Right-wing bloggers Biggs and Richwine ignore data that show lay-offs cut public services. (Blog)
- Oct 12 This Campaign Hits Home for Workers AFSCME members, president tackle 1% Mitt Romney’s attack on the 47% (Blog)
- Oct 09 We Are AFSCME: Campaign Volunteer, Retiree Renita Hoover Wisconsin activist urges fellow retirees to get involved. She’s been doing it for decades. (Blog)
- Sep 26 The Referees Are Fighting for All of Us Billionaire team owners are trying to take the professional NFL officials’ pensions away. (Blog)
- Aug 30 Paul Ryan Acceptance Speech Light on Reality Wisconsin retirees: Paul Ryan would “tear seniors’ safety net to shreds.” (Blog)
- Aug 29 Warren to Christie: Not So Fast Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren calls out Gov. Chris Christie on his RNC keynote speech. (Blog)