Stand Up for the Middle Class
State and local governments must find balanced solutions to budget challenges, recognizing that state employees and services have already taken big cuts and further reductions will cause the most harm – both to state residents and to the state’s economic recovery. It’s time to have smarter government that best meets the needs of our communities.
- Nov 20AFSCME, SEIU and NEA Launch Ad Campaign to Protect Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and EducationNew poll shows major opposition to cuts to vital services
- Sep 14“Governor Scott Walker Rejected Again”Statement of AFSCME Wisconsin in response to the ruling by the Dane County Circuit Court Judge Juan Colas
- Sep 12AFSCME’s Saunders on Chicago Teachers’ StrikeStatement of AFSCME President Lee Saunders on the strike by the Chicago Teachers’ Union
Concerned about the quality of patient care and fair treatment on the job, University of California Patient Care Technical Workers -- members of AFSCME Local 3299 --overwhelmingly voted this week...
In 1968 sanitation workers made history in Memphis, Tennessee. Over a thousand workers went on strike to protest unfair wages, discrimination, and unsafe working conditions that took the lives of...
Gov. Rick Snyder was right when he said "right-to-work" is a very divisive issue and that 2012 is not the time or place for this dangerous issue in Michigan.
Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels was chosen to deliver the response to the State of the Union. Here's why that's so scary.
- May 23 Scott Walker's Austerity Plan: Turning Wisconsin Into the New Greece You don't have to look at Athens, Mykonos or Rhodes to see the damage that... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 18 Drawing Inspiration from Lincoln, King on the Eve of President Obama's Second Inauguration It is time for all of us to pull together and fight for the enduring... (Huffington Post)
- Aug 31 Labor Day and the Future of America We must do more to insure that future Americans live in a country where their... (Huffington Post)
- Jul 12 The Road to More Jobs The Republicans’ relentless opposition to constructive policies has kept unemployment high… (New York Times)
- Jul 08 Newsmakers with Lee Saunders AFSCME’s president discusses his plans for the union, the upcoming presidential election and related issues.... (C-SPAN)
- Jul 03 Economic Pressures On Local Governments Kerry Korpi discusses economic pressures on local governments and the push to privatize public services.... (NPR)
- Apr 04 They stood their ground for respect The Memphis sanitation workers' strike and its aftermath continue to inspire AFSCME today. (Commercial Appeal)
- Feb 01 Florida Prisons Bill Would Expand Private Management, Netting A Big Win For Political Contributors State could hand over a major slice of its prison system to private, for-profit businesses.... (Huffington Post)
- Dec 14 Don't blame government workers' pensions The big players on Wall Street have devastated our economy and our retirement savings. (USA Today)
- Dec 12 Sharpton's Jobs March Hits 25 Cities on Same Day Sharpton and his organization, the National Action Network, along with partners such as AFSCME, held... (The Root)
- Nov 18 How Progressives Won the Labor Rights Showdown in Ohio To understand how progressives pulled off this remarkable win, I spoke with Paul Booth, one... (Truthout)
- Nov 14 Public Service Workers Are Helping to Cut Taxpayer Costs Union members are pulling together to find real solutions to our economic problems. (Wall Street Journal)
- May 24 California Budget Cuts Leave Court System Decimated Cuts of more than 30 percent have left courts unable to meet the legal needs of citizens. (Blog)
- May 24 Video Series Details How Unions Support the Middle Class AFSCME child care worker from Wisconsin talks about the importance of belonging to a union. (Blog)
- May 23 Register Now for the Cutting-Edge Next Wave Conference Registration is now open for the 2013 Next Wave Conference from July 12 - 14 in Detroit. (Blog)
- May 22 Elected Officials Come Out In Support of UC Workers on Strike AFSCME Local 3299 members are on their second day demanding improved patient care at UC hospitals. (Blog)
- May 21 University of California Patient Care Workers Strike for Better Patient Care Walkout involves thousands of patient care workers, follows more than 10 months of stalled negotiations. (Blog)
- May 20 Thousands of Minnesota Child Care Providers Win Bargaining Rights Family child care providers win a historic legislative victory after a years-long campaign. (Blog)
- May 14 ALEC is not OK in Oklahoma AFSCME members stand up to ALEC at the group’s annual summit and rallied for the middle class. (Blog)
- May 13 Wisconsin AFSCME Local 903 Members Take Activism Seriously Four union members represent their communities in city and county governments. (Blog)
- May 09 AFSCME Nurses Leave DC Ready to Organize The 14th National Nurses Congress brought together nursing professionals from across the country. (Blog)
- May 09 Same Class Warfare, New Class Warriors Wealthy politicians and “philanthropists” attack pension benefits for retired librarians, teachers, and street crew workers. (Blog)
- May 09 UC Hospital Workers to Strike for Their Patients and Families Misguided priorities are undermining patient care in California’s fourth largest healthcare delivery system. (Blog)
- May 06 Your Story Can Make a Difference The work you do every day makes a difference. So do your stories. Share your story at www.afscme.org/story. (Blog)