Stand Up for the Middle Class
State and local governments must find balanced solutions to budget challenges, recognizing that state employees and services have already taken big cuts and further reductions will cause the most harm – both to state residents and to the state’s economic recovery. It’s time to have smarter government that best meets the needs of our communities.
- Jul 19Court Rules in Favor of AFSCME Members, Detroit Bankruptcy IllegalStatement by AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders: Snyder and Orr are not above the law and cannot ignore the Michigan constitution
- Jul 18Statement by AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Detroit Bankruptcy Filing
- Nov 20AFSCME, SEIU and NEA Launch Ad Campaign to Protect Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and EducationNew poll shows major opposition to cuts to vital services
Taxi cab drivers in New Orleans aren't sitting back and letting the City Council take away their rights. They are fighting back and forming a union.
Concerned about the quality of patient care and fair treatment on the job, University of California Patient Care Technical Workers -- members of AFSCME Local 3299 --overwhelmingly voted this week...
In 1968 sanitation workers made history in Memphis, Tennessee. Over a thousand workers went on strike to protest unfair wages, discrimination, and unsafe working conditions that took the lives of...
Gov. Rick Snyder was right when he said "right-to-work" is a very divisive issue and that 2012 is not the time or place for this dangerous issue in Michigan.
- May 29 Vermont Home Care Providers Come Together With AFSCME I was honored to be in Vermont to stand with all the members of AFSCME... (Huffington Post)
- May 23 Scott Walker's Austerity Plan: Turning Wisconsin Into the New Greece You don't have to look at Athens, Mykonos or Rhodes to see the damage that... (Huffington Post)
- Jan 18 Drawing Inspiration from Lincoln, King on the Eve of President Obama's Second Inauguration It is time for all of us to pull together and fight for the enduring... (Huffington Post)
- Aug 31 Labor Day and the Future of America We must do more to insure that future Americans live in a country where their... (Huffington Post)
- Jul 12 The Road to More Jobs The Republicans’ relentless opposition to constructive policies has kept unemployment high… (New York Times)
- Jul 08 Newsmakers with Lee Saunders AFSCME’s president discusses his plans for the union, the upcoming presidential election and related issues.... (C-SPAN)
- Jul 03 Economic Pressures On Local Governments Kerry Korpi discusses economic pressures on local governments and the push to privatize public services.... (NPR)
- Apr 04 They stood their ground for respect The Memphis sanitation workers' strike and its aftermath continue to inspire AFSCME today. (Commercial Appeal)
- Feb 01 Florida Prisons Bill Would Expand Private Management, Netting A Big Win For Political Contributors State could hand over a major slice of its prison system to private, for-profit businesses.... (Huffington Post)
- Dec 14 Don't blame government workers' pensions The big players on Wall Street have devastated our economy and our retirement savings. (USA Today)
- Dec 12 Sharpton's Jobs March Hits 25 Cities on Same Day Sharpton and his organization, the National Action Network, along with partners such as AFSCME, held... (The Root)
- Nov 18 How Progressives Won the Labor Rights Showdown in Ohio To understand how progressives pulled off this remarkable win, I spoke with Paul Booth, one... (Truthout)
- Jul 31 Calls Echo for Michigan Governor Snyder to Abide by State Constitution AFL-CIO, Washington Post, New Yorker: Wrong to blame hard-working Detroit women and men. (Blog)
- Jul 24 Detroit Bankruptcy Scheme Moves Forward, AFSCME Will Fight for Working People Scheme to use bankruptcy to seize employees’ and retirees’ life savings must be stopped. (Blog)
- Jul 23 AFSCME TV Showcases Next Wavers Taking it to the Streets in Detroit Conference goers stage demonstration against governor's anti-worker agenda (Blog)
- Jul 19 The Detroit Bankruptcy Filing A bankruptcy would result in profound hardship for workers, retirees and their families. (Blog)
- Jul 18 We’re Crashing ALEC’s party – Come Join Us! Corporate-backed American Exchange Council opens Virginia HQ (Blog)
- Jul 17 Lawsuit Filed to Keep Detroit Out of Bankruptcy Public service workers ask court to rule Michigan’s Emergency Manager law violates the state’s constitution. (Blog)
- Jul 13 Next Wave Takes Over EM Office in Detroit Hundreds of AFSCME activists flood the office of Detroit’s Emergency Manager, clad in nerd gear. (Blog)
- Jul 11 Ohio AFSCME Leader Speaks Up Against Budget Cuts State budget includes tax cuts for the wealthy while slashing funding for public services. (Blog)
- Jun 11 Pennsylvania Supreme Court Denies Mayor Nutter’s Request to Impose Contract Terms The decision is a major victory in favor of collective bargaining rights. (Blog)
- Jun 05 Connecticut Ruling an “Unequivocal Defense” of Union Members’ Rights Court rules in favor of state employees who were illegally fired in 2003. (Blog)
- May 29 Evergreen College Employees Strike for Job Security and Fair Pay The strike follows more than 16 months of stalled negotiations. (Blog)
- May 24 California Budget Cuts Leave Court System Decimated Cuts of more than 30 percent have left courts unable to meet the legal needs of citizens. (Blog)