Collective Bargaining Is the American Way
In Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, New Hampshire and elsewhere, politicians who do nothing to protect or create jobs are working overtime to eliminate the ability of workers to help solve problems and come up with solutions that work. These right-wing politicians want a future where public services are starved, collective bargaining is a thing of the past, and powerful corporate interests keep their tax loopholes at the expense of everyone else. These attacks on workers' rights are an attack on basic American values of fairness and democracy. Public service workers didn’t get us into this mess, and scapegoating them won’t create jobs or rebuild the middle class.
- Fact Sheet: Income Inequality
- Fact Sheet: Public Employee Pay, Pensions and Collective Bargaining
- Fact Sheet: The Truth About Collective Bargaining for Public Service Workers
- Safe Jobs Now: A Guide To Health And Safety In The Workplace
- The Keys to Healthy Computing: A Health and Safety Handbook
- What To Do If You Have a Health and Safety Problem
AFSCME members Stephen Mittons and Dovard Howard joined dozens of other public employees on the steps of the Supreme Court to reiterate the vital role their unions play in helping...
Stephanie Wiley is a child care attendant in Ohio. Every day, she wakes up before the sun rises to help children with special needs who ride the bus to school....
Across the country, AFSCME Public Safety workers are facing attacks head-on. As member Ralph Portwood says "We fight, we win."
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
- Sep 02 Americans Already Know How to Fix This Economy The recovery doesn't seem to be coming fast enough. The wealthiest few are getting richer... (The Huffington Post)
- Jun 23 How Unions Improve the Lives of Every Worker It's well established that union members earn substantially more than nonunion workers ($207 more a... (The Huffington Post)
- Apr 21 Our Nation's Pay Policies Are Due for a Checkup The United States is one of the only developed nations in the world where workers... (The Huffington Post)
- Apr 16 The 'Inexcusable' Assault on Workers in Wisconsin Just like the band that kept playing as the Titanic went down, Walker pretends that... (The Huffington Post)
- Feb 02 We Built the Middle Class, and We Can Rebuild It The benefits to workers who form a union are concrete and undeniable. Unionized workers earn... (Roll Call)
- Jan 16 We Have Cure for What Ails State of the Union When President Obama delivers the State of the Union address, he'll be able to celebrate... (The Huffington Post)
- Dec 04 Converting a Union Skeptic Audra Rondeau wasn't a fan of labor groups—then home-care workers in her state organized, and... (The Atlantic)
- Nov 04 UC outsourcing is bad for workers and campuses’ bottom line UC’s exploitation of contract workers is nothing short of hypocrisy. (Sacramento Bee)
- Sep 26 MA: Janitorial firm fined for wage gaffe An East Boston janitorial company has been ordered by Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley to... (The Boston Globe)
- Sep 08 WA: State workers say they were punished for blowing whistle on prison violence stats Two state employees say they were demoted for exposing skewed statistics on prison violence. (The Tri-City Herald)
- Aug 28 #WEmatter and We Demand Change For too long the needs of women and families have been dismissed by our elected... (Huffington Post)
- Jul 10 Principle Is a Terrible Thing to Waste Last month, United Negro College Fund President Michael Lomax announced that his organization has received... (The Huffington Post)
- Nov 30 What Do We Want? $15! When Do We Want It? Now! Thousands rally for fair wages. (Blog)
- Nov 30 Trump: Where the Rubber Hits the Road President-elect Donald Trump says he’s going to make America great again for working families. We’re going to hold him to his word. (Blog)
- Nov 23 Judge Blocks Obama Rule Giving Overtime to Millions Corporations give thanks to a federal judge for preventing millions of workers from getting the overtime they deserve. (Blog)
- Nov 18 California Nurses to Strike 3 Days This Month to Improve Patient Care Sharp Healthcare nurses authorize a strike. (Blog)
- Nov 17 Insomniac Games Is Sleeping on New Contract Video game actors deserve a fair contract and safe working conditions. (Blog)
- Oct 20 Fighting for Better Patient Care and R-E-S-P-E-C-T in Connecticut More than 900 Connecticut hospital workers are new AFSCME members. (Blog)
- Oct 18 Council 31 Members’ Message for Rauner: Come Back to the Table Illinois Council 31 members are featured in an ad asking the governor to bargain with them. (Blog)
- Oct 17 Two Hundred-Plus County Employees Join AFSCME in Indy 230 Marion County workers choose AFSCME after newly elected officials granted their employees the right to bargain collectively. (Blog)
- Oct 13 Boycott Trump Protestors rally outside of Trump Old Post Office Hotel. (Blog)
- Oct 11 Sharp Hearts, Sharp Cares, Sharp Nurses More than 300 Sharp Healthcare nurses rally to show that they’re part of the real Sharp experience. (Blog)
- Oct 11 How Stronger Unions Could Fix Our Economy — And Our Politics Stronger unions lead to better jobs for Americans. We could make this country great again if we make it easier to join. (Blog)
- Sep 22 Standing Strong in Illinois An anti-worker governor is trying to silence Illinois state employees, but they aren’t backing down. (Blog)