Collective Bargaining Is the American Way
In Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, New Hampshire and elsewhere, politicians who do nothing to protect or create jobs are working overtime to eliminate the ability of workers to help solve problems and come up with solutions that work. These right-wing politicians want a future where public services are starved, collective bargaining is a thing of the past, and powerful corporate interests keep their tax loopholes at the expense of everyone else. These attacks on workers' rights are an attack on basic American values of fairness and democracy. Public service workers didn’t get us into this mess, and scapegoating them won’t create jobs or rebuild the middle class.
- Fact Sheet: Income Inequality
- Fact Sheet: Public Employee Pay, Pensions and Collective Bargaining
- Fact Sheet: The Truth About Collective Bargaining for Public Service Workers
- Safe Jobs Now: A Guide To Health And Safety In The Workplace
- The Keys to Healthy Computing: A Health and Safety Handbook
- What To Do If You Have a Health and Safety Problem
AFSCME members Stephen Mittons and Dovard Howard joined dozens of other public employees on the steps of the Supreme Court to reiterate the vital role their unions play in helping...
Stephanie Wiley is a child care attendant in Ohio. Every day, she wakes up before the sun rises to help children with special needs who ride the bus to school....
Across the country, AFSCME Public Safety workers are facing attacks head-on. As member Ralph Portwood says "We fight, we win."
You've heard some of the right-wing candidates for President pushing some pretty extreme, out-of-touch ideas lately, but you might not realize just how ridiculous these policies and statements sound until...
- Sep 02 Americans Already Know How to Fix This Economy The recovery doesn't seem to be coming fast enough. The wealthiest few are getting richer... (The Huffington Post)
- Jun 23 How Unions Improve the Lives of Every Worker It's well established that union members earn substantially more than nonunion workers ($207 more a... (The Huffington Post)
- Apr 21 Our Nation's Pay Policies Are Due for a Checkup The United States is one of the only developed nations in the world where workers... (The Huffington Post)
- Apr 16 The 'Inexcusable' Assault on Workers in Wisconsin Just like the band that kept playing as the Titanic went down, Walker pretends that... (The Huffington Post)
- Feb 02 We Built the Middle Class, and We Can Rebuild It The benefits to workers who form a union are concrete and undeniable. Unionized workers earn... (Roll Call)
- Jan 16 We Have Cure for What Ails State of the Union When President Obama delivers the State of the Union address, he'll be able to celebrate... (The Huffington Post)
- Dec 04 Converting a Union Skeptic Audra Rondeau wasn't a fan of labor groups—then home-care workers in her state organized, and... (The Atlantic)
- Nov 04 UC outsourcing is bad for workers and campuses’ bottom line UC’s exploitation of contract workers is nothing short of hypocrisy. (Sacramento Bee)
- Sep 26 MA: Janitorial firm fined for wage gaffe An East Boston janitorial company has been ordered by Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley to... (The Boston Globe)
- Sep 08 WA: State workers say they were punished for blowing whistle on prison violence stats Two state employees say they were demoted for exposing skewed statistics on prison violence. (The Tri-City Herald)
- Aug 28 #WEmatter and We Demand Change For too long the needs of women and families have been dismissed by our elected... (Huffington Post)
- Jul 10 Principle Is a Terrible Thing to Waste Last month, United Negro College Fund President Michael Lomax announced that his organization has received... (The Huffington Post)
- Sep 22 Standing Strong in Illinois An anti-worker governor is trying to silence Illinois state employees, but they aren’t backing down. (Blog)
- Sep 20 Lighting Up Las Vegas At our 42nd International Convention this summer, AFSCME members’ Never Quit spirit was downright electric, with enough wattage to light up the entire Las Vegas Strip. (Blog)
- Sep 08 Peeps Candy Workers Strike No pension? No Peeps! Peeps candy workers strike for retirement dignity. (Blog)
- Sep 02 Make America Great Again While you’re enjoying your long weekend — extended by Labor Day — you can thank unions for both! (Blog)
- Aug 30 When There’s a Drop in Union Jobs, All Workers Earn Less More union jobs means more money for everyone. (Blog)
- Aug 06 The Voting Rights Act at 51: Why It Must Be Restored to its Full Power 51 years ago today the Voting Rights Act was signed into law. This is why it must be restored to its full power. (Blog)
- Jul 21 Delegates Rally at Trump Hotel More than 2,000 AFSCME delegates took it to the streets Wednesday, standing in solidarity with Culinary Workers demanding a fair contract at the Trump International Hotel. (Blog)
- Jul 20 Hillary Clinton’s Promise to AFSCME Hillary Clinton: "You pioneered the basic bargain that made our country great...That means working hard and playing by the rules should mean being able to earn a living wage and having a fair shot at the American Dream." (Blog)
- Jul 14 Support and Solidarity: Standing with Striking Casino Workers at the Trump Taj Mahal Showing our support and solidarity for Striking Casino Workers at the Trump Taj Mahal. (Blog)
- Jul 12 Overtime Pay is Now the Rule for Many Home Care Providers Nearly two million home care workers nationwide now have the right to overtime pay, thanks to a Supreme Court ruling. (Blog)
- Jun 19 What Dads Really Want for Father’s Day The United States is the only developed nation in the world with no guaranteed paid leave of any kind. (Blog)
- Jun 02 Obama: In the ‘Good Old Days,’ Unions Were Strong and Workers Better Off It’s time to make America great again! Time to return to the good old union days. (Blog)