- Oct 07 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on the White House Summit on Worker Voice "It was heartening to hear many panelists today talking about the essential role that unions and collective bargaining play in fixing an economy that is badly out of balance and improving incomes for all working people."
- Oct 02 AFSCME Mourns Loss of Leader Marty Beil
- Sep 25 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on Speaker Boehner’s Resignation
- Sep 21 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on Gov. Walker Dropping Out of the Republican Primary for President “This is a clear rebuke of the anti-worker platform on which Governor Walker based his entire presidential campaign."
- Sep 06 AFSCME Hosts Presidential Town Halls Working people in Iowa and nationwide participate in democratic endorsement process.
- Aug 21 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on court decision upholding Fair Labor Standards Act protections for home care workers "With this decision to stand on, we look forward to the Department of Labor’s enforcement of the rule in the states so that all home care workers can finally receive the fair wages they deserve," said Saunders.
- Aug 17 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on the Passing of Julian Bond Saunders: Our world has lost a giant in the struggle for freedom and dignity for all people.
- Jun 30 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on President Obama’s Overtime Rule Change "Americans are working harder than ever, but while corporate profits are skyrocketing, incomes are still flat-lining, so it's encouraging that Pres. Obama’s proposal could give workers who make up to $50,440 a hard-earned raise."
- Jun 26 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the Obergefell v. Hodges Decision Today is a momentous day. Together as a nation we took a dramatic step toward the ideals of equality and freedom.
- Jun 25 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the King v. Burwell Decision By rejecting this overtly partisan attack against existing law, the Court has preserved the health and peace of mind of the more than 8 million Americans who will now continue to rely on the law for access to quality, affordable health coverage.
- Jun 25 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the Voting Rights Advancement Act AFSCME is committed to ensuring that our leaders in Congress today honor that sacrifice and protect the rights they secured for future generations.
- Jun 23 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on Senate Fast Track Vote Saunders: "It is unfortunate that the Senate sided with corporate interests over the American people by advancing legislation that will allow dangerous trade deals to be negotiated in secret."
There’s a lot of talk about union fair share fees these days. In a case called Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, the Supreme Court may even consider them.
Highlights from U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez's keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
The Reverend Doctor William Barber spoke at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago on Thursday, July 17, 2014.
Watch highlights from AFSCME Secretary-Treasurer Laura Reyes' keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
- May 06 Merced County, CA makes offers to homecare workers Home-care workers of Merced County got their wish after more than a year of contract... (Merced Sun-Star)
- Jun 03 Nuns Rally w/ Labor on Capitol Hill, Visit Oval Office ...“Nuns on the Bus” gathered with prominent labor leaders and immigration activists at the United... (Paramus Post)
- May 02 Hundreds March on Mayday in San Diego. ..... At the end, Laura Reyes, General Secretary of the United Domestic Workers International and... (Democratic Underground)
- May 02 Reid headlines Las Vegas immigration rally People waving American flags, honking hand-held horns and chanting “Si se puede” — Spanish for... (Associated Press)
- Apr 04 45 years after Martin Luther King shot, "50 days of nonviolence" ...Members of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees labor union, which organized... (Reuters)
- Apr 04 Mayor Wharton Responds To Sanitation Criticism The president of AFSCME tells News Channel 3, he feels the fight to keep Dr.... (WREG Memphis)
- Apr 04 Progressive Groups Revive King’s Message on Anniversary of Mountaintop Speech On the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s final speech at Mason Temple,... (WREG Memphis)
- Feb 13 Public-Sector Workers Rally Against Sequestration …“We’re here to stand up for public services that have been cut to the bone,”... (GovExec.com)
- Feb 13 Union leaders denounce sequestration at DC rally: ‘They want to see us bleed’ …. “That top one and two percent want more power. They want more wealth and... (The Hill)
- Feb 12 Union President on Labor and Black History On the 45th anniversary of the Memphis Sanitation Strike, we spoke to Lee Saunders, AFSCME's... (The Root)
- Feb 12 AFSCME President Slams Pat Quinn, Michael Nutter As 'Turncoats' Who Must 'Pay' One of the top labor leaders in the country ripped into two prominent Democratic lawmakers... (Huffington Post)
- Feb 05 theGrio’s 100: Lee Saunders, organizing America’s largest union Lee Saunders is the first black president of AFSCME. … Saunders made history as the... (theGrio )