- Jun 30 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders’ Statement on President Obama’s Overtime Rule Change "Americans are working harder than ever, but while corporate profits are skyrocketing, incomes are still flat-lining, so it's encouraging that Pres. Obama’s proposal could give workers who make up to $50,440 a hard-earned raise."
- Jun 26 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the Obergefell v. Hodges Decision Today is a momentous day. Together as a nation we took a dramatic step toward the ideals of equality and freedom.
- Jun 25 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the King v. Burwell Decision By rejecting this overtly partisan attack against existing law, the Court has preserved the health and peace of mind of the more than 8 million Americans who will now continue to rely on the law for access to quality, affordable health coverage.
- Jun 25 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on the Voting Rights Advancement Act AFSCME is committed to ensuring that our leaders in Congress today honor that sacrifice and protect the rights they secured for future generations.
- Jun 23 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on Senate Fast Track Vote Saunders: "It is unfortunate that the Senate sided with corporate interests over the American people by advancing legislation that will allow dangerous trade deals to be negotiated in secret."
- Jun 10 Candidate Quotes from AFSCME Presidential Endorsement Meetings This week, members of our International Executive Board board met with Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton, Governor Martin O’Malley, and Senator Bernie Sanders.
- Apr 13 Secretary Clinton offered a strong message for working families Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Secretary Clinton’s announcement.
- Apr 07 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on National Healthy Schools Day, April 7, 2015 Saunders: “No question that quality public schools are a gateway to the middle class for millions of American children.”
- Mar 30 AFSCME Women's Conference Leaving Indiana AFSCME President Lee Saunders released the following statement about AFSCME's decision to move it's 2015 Women's Conference out of Indiana due to the recent legislation passed that legalizes discrimination.
- Mar 18 President Saunders: We Need a Budget That Values Hard Work AFSCME President Lee Saunders made the following statement regarding the Congressional budget proposals.
- Mar 13 Institutional Investors Continue To Press Companies For Disclosure Of Lobbying In 2015 Shareholder resolutions filed with 53 companies by 65 institutional and individual investors.
- Mar 06 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders Statement on February Jobs Report: “Stagnant Wages Continue to Hold Middle-Class Families Back”
There’s a lot of talk about union fair share fees these days. In a case called Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, the Supreme Court may even consider them.
Highlights from U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez's keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
The Reverend Doctor William Barber spoke at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago on Thursday, July 17, 2014.
Watch highlights from AFSCME Secretary-Treasurer Laura Reyes' keynote speech at AFSCME's 41st International Convention in Chicago.
- May 06 Merced County, CA makes offers to homecare workers Home-care workers of Merced County got their wish after more than a year of contract... (Merced Sun-Star)
- Jun 03 Nuns Rally w/ Labor on Capitol Hill, Visit Oval Office ...“Nuns on the Bus” gathered with prominent labor leaders and immigration activists at the United... (Paramus Post)
- May 02 Hundreds March on Mayday in San Diego. ..... At the end, Laura Reyes, General Secretary of the United Domestic Workers International and... (Democratic Underground)
- May 02 Reid headlines Las Vegas immigration rally People waving American flags, honking hand-held horns and chanting “Si se puede” — Spanish for... (Associated Press)
- Apr 04 45 years after Martin Luther King shot, "50 days of nonviolence" ...Members of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees labor union, which organized... (Reuters)
- Apr 04 Mayor Wharton Responds To Sanitation Criticism The president of AFSCME tells News Channel 3, he feels the fight to keep Dr.... (WREG Memphis)
- Apr 04 Progressive Groups Revive King’s Message on Anniversary of Mountaintop Speech On the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s final speech at Mason Temple,... (WREG Memphis)
- Feb 13 Public-Sector Workers Rally Against Sequestration …“We’re here to stand up for public services that have been cut to the bone,”... (GovExec.com)
- Feb 13 Union leaders denounce sequestration at DC rally: ‘They want to see us bleed’ …. “That top one and two percent want more power. They want more wealth and... (The Hill)
- Feb 12 Union President on Labor and Black History On the 45th anniversary of the Memphis Sanitation Strike, we spoke to Lee Saunders, AFSCME's... (The Root)
- Feb 12 AFSCME President Slams Pat Quinn, Michael Nutter As 'Turncoats' Who Must 'Pay' One of the top labor leaders in the country ripped into two prominent Democratic lawmakers... (Huffington Post)
- Feb 05 theGrio’s 100: Lee Saunders, organizing America’s largest union Lee Saunders is the first black president of AFSCME. … Saunders made history as the... (theGrio )