For Immediate Release
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
AFSCME and SEIU Launch Television Ad Campaign to Stop Health Care Cuts for Seniors
Television Ad Campaign Part of Month-Long Effort to Defeat GOP Budget Cuts in February 1 House Vote
WASHINGTON —The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the Emergency Campaign for America's Priorities (ECAP) launched a television ad campaign today urging moderate GOP members of Congress to oppose cuts in the budget reconciliation bill that would gut health care for seniors.
"Instead of giving millionaires huge tax breaks, Congress should protect the health care coverage America's seniors rely on," said Anna Burger, secretary-treasurer of SEIU.
Last month, Congress pushed through a vote to approve deep and harmful health care cuts that would limit seniors' access to nursing home care and other critical health services they need. But due to changes in the bill made by the Senate, the House will have a chance to stop these cuts in a vote on final passage scheduled for February 1.
"This budget vote is about whether members of Congress support ordinary Americans," said AFSCME President Gerald McEntee. "Is Congress going to protect health care for American seniors or give away tax breaks to the very rich?"
AFSCME and SEIU's television ad campaign will begin airing in 11 House districts on January 18 and will run for seven days. Targeted members include Representatives Jo Ann Emerson (MO-8), Sherwood Boehlert (NY-24), Jim Nussle (IA-2), Mark Green (WI-8), Nancy Johnson (CT-5), Rob Simmons (CT-2), Chris Shays (CT-4), Mike Fitzpatrick (PA-8), Jim Gerlach (PA-6), Fred Upton (MI-6), and Bob Beauprez (CO-7). To watch the ads online, go to http://actnow.org/press/.
The joint union advertising campaign is part of a month-long effort by ECAP and its coalition partners in 35 states to defeat the budget bill in the House and stop cuts to health coverage, long term care, student aid, and other critical public services to fund nearly $70 billion in tax breaks for the rich.
In addition to the television ads, AFSCME, SEIU and ECAP will be holding local events to educate seniors and others about the harm which would be inflicted on countless Americans by the Draconian cuts included in the budget bill — especially for seniors in the area of health care. The activities will include town hall meetings with members of Congress, press conferences, direct mail, print and radio advertising, email, phone calls, district meetings, a nationally coordinated lobbying effort and an innovative online protest that has drawn nearly 30,000 participants to www.actnow.org.
