Power Tools to Fight Privatization
These valuable publications will give you the tools you need to help fight back against efforts to privatize public services.
- Fact Sheet: ContractingProponents of privatization claim that the private sector can do a better job at a cheaper price. But experience shows that privatization often leads to increased costs for the public and reduced accountability to taxpayers.
- Fact Sheet: Higher EducationState funding for higher education has been on the decline for decades. But privatization-based cost saving measures lead to a loss of accountability, fail to save money and lower the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
- Fact Sheet: OutsourcingOutsourcing is promoted as a way to save money, improve services, and shake up so-called “unaccountable bureaucracies.” But in reality, it often fails on all counts, especially in attempts to outsource human and social services.
- Fact Sheet: Public-Private PartnershipsPublic-private partnerships privatize valuable public assets such as roads and bridges to guarantee long-term returns to financiers at the expense of taxpayers.
- Fact Sheet: PrisonsPrivate prisons are more dangerous for inmates and staff, and often fail to deliver the savings they promise.
- Fact Sheet: SchoolsOutsourcing school support services generally leads to a loss of accountability, fails to save money and lowers the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
- Fact Sheet: InfrastructureInfrastructure privatization can actually increase costs for a city and its residents, eliminate accountability to the public, and compromise the quality of critical services that residents regularly rely on.
- New Report: States with More Prison Privatization More Resistant to Criminal Justice ReformNew research from public policy experts at Dartmouth and the University of Minnesota has confirmed what critics of prison privatization have known for years: that prison privatization is a significant barrier to commonsense criminal justice reforms.
- Standing Guard: How Unaccountable Contracting Fails Governments and Taxpayers
- How to Prevent Privatization: An Activist’s Guide
- Stop Bad Contracts – Protect Public Services: Sample Provisions from State Statutes
- What’s Your Bid?