Many stewards say their most difficult task is communicating with members who believe they have a legitimate grievance when a thorough investigation shows it is not grievable.
This will guide stewards, activists and members through the five steps of the grievance process. Knowing how to navigate a grievance and move it through these steps will help you...
If you lead union meetings or need to have a crucial conversation, you know that good preparation matters. Join us as we guide you through the use of a powerful...
The thousands of AFSCME Strong member-to-member conversations taking place around the country have identified workplace problems that are unlikely to be resolved through typical methods. Many local unions are getting...
- Mar 27 DC EMTs and Paramedics Vote to Join AFSCME Nearly 200 emergency medical technicians and paramedics serving the nation's capital voted to join AFSCME District Council 20. (Blog)
- Mar 24 VMO Strengthens New California Local A California member describes why she decided to become a volunteer member organizer. (Blog)
- Mar 23 AFSCME Council 65 Expands by 156 Workers in South Dakota Organizing win: A total of 156 employees at the South Dakota Developmental Center are now covered by AFSCME Council 65. (Blog)
- Mar 16 Strength to Meet the Challenges Ahead AFSCME’s commitment to organize and protect working people and challenge management to treat them with fairness, dignity and respect continues unabated despite a hostile political environment. (Blog)
- Mar 02 More Arizona EMS Workers Gain a Voice Thanks to AFSCME With victory in Prescott, Arizona, three American Medical Response operations in Arizona have now joined AFSCME to build a better future at the private company. It’s about quality emergency care, fairness and advancing the emergency medical profession. (Blog)
- Mar 01 Want a Healthy Fire Department? Get a Union – Even in Mt. Healthy In Mt. Healthy, Ohio, a 23 paid part-time firefighters decided to do something about their lack of a union contract. They organized with AFSCME Council 8. (Blog)
- Feb 27 College Park Workers Rally for a Voice on the Job College Park, Ga., public workers held a rally demanding a voice on the job. Joining them were members of AFSCME Local 1644 and AFSCME International Pres. Lee Saunders. (Blog)
- Feb 24 In Florida, AFSCME’s Razor-Sharp Focus is on Growth Florida AFSCME is looking for a few – make that many more – working people to reap the benefits of a strong contract and is working to build on membership growth it achieved last year. (Blog)
- Feb 10 CT Member Wins National Award for Organizing Work For her efforts to build a union for 900 employees of two Connecticut hospitals, Jessica Ellul, a member of CHCA/NUHHCE/AFSCME, was honored by the Berger-Marks Foundation. (Blog)
- Feb 09 Could IL Public Service Workers Go on Strike? Will Illinois public service employees go on strike? Thousands of workers have until February 19 to decide. (Blog)
- Jan 26 Despite Relentless Attacks, AFSCME Continues to Grow Despite a nationwide decline in labor union membership last year, AFSCME continues to grow. Last year, our union saw a net growth of nearly 12,000 members. (Blog)
- Jan 23 This Is Why You Need a Union Three reasons why working people need unions. (Blog)
AFSCME organizers are committed to helping workers gain power on the job. Do you have what it takes?
There are immediate openings in AFSCME’s Apprenticeship and Organizer-in-Training programs. If you are interested in becoming an AFSCME organizer, fill out this form!