Many stewards say their most difficult task is communicating with members who believe they have a legitimate grievance when a thorough investigation shows it is not grievable.
This will guide stewards, activists and members through the five steps of the grievance process. Knowing how to navigate a grievance and move it through these steps will help you...
If you lead union meetings or need to have a crucial conversation, you know that good preparation matters. Join us as we guide you through the use of a powerful...
The thousands of AFSCME Strong member-to-member conversations taking place around the country have identified workplace problems that are unlikely to be resolved through typical methods. Many local unions are getting...
- Jan 23 This Is Why You Need a Union Three reasons why working people need unions. (Blog)
- Jan 13 A Threat to Public Service Workers is Headed Our Way – We’re Ready The U.S. Supreme Court may soon consider a case that could make it more difficult for public service workers to improve their jobs, wages and benefits through their unions. (Blog)
- Jan 11 In Farewell Address, Obama Speaks to Working Families’ Struggles In his farewell address to the nation, President Obama spoke about the critical role the labor movement and working families have played in America’s history. (Blog)
- Dec 31 A Simple Yet Powerful New Year’s Resolution Here’s a way to help AFSCME grow stronger so our union can help working people everywhere. (Blog)
- Dec 12 Victory for Patient Care – San Diego’s Sharp Nurses Ratify Contract Victory! The nurses at Sharp HealthCare in San Diego have ratified a new contract that will go far toward solving nurse shortages that are at the heart of the five-month dispute. (Blog)
- Oct 28 In Maryland, AFSCME Strong Secured an Anti-Outsourcing Victory Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan should have thought to ask Manisha Patel how she felt about her job before he tried to outsource it to a private contractor. (Blog)
- Oct 20 Fighting for Better Patient Care and R-E-S-P-E-C-T in Connecticut More than 900 Connecticut hospital workers are new AFSCME members. (Blog)
- Oct 17 Two Hundred-Plus County Employees Join AFSCME in Indy 230 Marion County workers choose AFSCME after newly elected officials granted their employees the right to bargain collectively. (Blog)
- Oct 05 California Public Workers Find Strength with AFSCME More than 6,000 workers are teaming up with AFSCME. (Blog)
- Aug 23 Coups de Main to Lift up Louisianans in Their Time of Need AFSCME Volunteer Member Organizers show “coups de main” to help lift Louisianans in need. (Blog)
- Jul 19 Free College: An Exclusive New Benefit for AFSCME Members AFSCME is introducing a new program that allows AFSCME members in the state to earn an online associate degree from the college at no cost! (Blog)
- Jun 30 Community Support Boosts Maui Lifeguards in Win for Fair Contract Lifeguards in Maui County, Hawaii, won a fair contract, but It took a public campaign by HGEA members to achieve their victory. (Blog)
AFSCME organizers are committed to helping workers gain power on the job. Do you have what it takes?
There are immediate openings in AFSCME’s Apprenticeship and Organizer-in-Training programs. If you are interested in becoming an AFSCME organizer, fill out this form!