AFSCME Organizers-in-Training are in an intensive year-long program to learn the fundamentals of building worker power through union organizing. Organizers-in-Training come from diverse backgrounds of work, organizing and academic experience. Trainees are placed on campaigns with experienced Lead Organizers who provide mentoring and one-on-one training throughout the program. Organizers-in-Training learn the nuts and bolts of an organizing campaign from home calling unorganized workers, to organizing direct actions, to preparing for a first contract campaign. An Organizer-in-Training's responsibility increases as his or her training progresses.
Who should apply?
- A commitment to social and economic justice and grassroots organizing.
- Leadership experience.
- An ability to empathize with workers and move others to action.
- A desire and willingness to travel extensively.
- A desire to work long hours, nights and weekends in order to achieve campaign goals.
- A valid driver's license.
If you want to be part of a growing and dynamic union movement, use our online form to apply now.
Salary starts at $38,879 with free single or family health coverage, car allowance, paid travel, 12 paid holidays, 401k, pension plan and more. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Organizers are committed to helping workers win social and economic justice on the job through building strong unions. Organizers are responsible for all aspects of assisting on union organizing campaigns, including campaign start-up, committee building, assessments, developing literature and running meetings and workplace actions.
Who should apply?
Prior to starting Organizers must have a demonstrated ability to do the following effectively:
- A commitment to social justice and grassroots
- Build relationships with workers one-on-one.
- Make accurate assessments.
- Find and manage campaign information.
- Build strong organizing committees.
- Communicate campaign messages clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Use strategic judgement and problem solving skills.
- Organize and run worker meetings and actions.
- Organize self and materials in order to meet commitments.
- Work with a diverse team.
- Work independently within a plan.
- Work hard and learn new skills.
If you have at least one year of union organizing experience and have demonstrated ability to do the above effectively, use our online form to apply now.
Salary starts at $45,408 with free family health coverage, car allowance, 13 paid holidays, 401k, pension plan and more. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
AFSCME Lead Organizers are committed to helping workers win social and economic justice through building strong unions. Lead Organizers are responsible for all aspects of running union organizing campaigns, including targeting, planning, and leading workers and staff. In addition to performing all the duties of an Organizer, Lead Organizers help plan and implement campaign strategy and lead teams of AFSCME organizers, Volunteer Member Organizers and Organizers-in-Training in running campaigns.
Who should apply?
Prior to starting, Lead Organizers must have demonstrated the ability to run campaigns and lead other organizers in campaigns, including the ability to lead effectively in the areas listed below:
- Planning and directing campaigns.
- Strategic judgment and problem solving skills.
- Developing campaign message and materials.
- Organizing and running worker meetings and worker actions.
- Working with local leaders and volunteer member organizers.
- Training and developing organizing staff.
If you have at least three years of union organizing experience, can demonstrate all the skills of an Organizer, and have demonstrated ability in the areas listed above, use our online form to apply now.
Salary starts at $69,938 with free family health coverage, car allowance, 13 paid holidays, 401k, pension plan and more. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.