- Oct 30 Truth Is No Obstacle for Wisconsin Governor Gov. Scott Walker has a problem with the truth. When the facts don’t benefit him, he has no problem twisting them out of all reality. PolitiFact Wisconsin rates his assertion of a $535 million budget surplus as a “false claim.” (Blog)
- Oct 30 Voting Early, Texans Push for Change Tomorrow – October 31 – is the last day of early voting in Texas. For more info on how to early vote in Texas go here: http://votetexas.gov/voting/when/#early-voting (Blog)
- Oct 24 Florida Retirees Make a Big Difference in Upcoming Election With so much on the line in this year’s midterm elections – from retirement security to voting rights -- AFSCME retirees in Miami-Dade County made more than 100,000 calls to Floridians in recent weeks, encouraging them to vote on or before Nov. 4. (Blog)
- Oct 24 Fighting Back in Ohio Ohio AFSCME members are going door-to-door and making phone calls to protect public services and their rights - and to elect candidates willing to fight for working families. (Blog)
- Oct 22 They Want Us to Stay Home on Nov. 4 A recent series of court rulings blocked implementation of discriminatory voter identification laws in Wisconsin, Arkansas and Texas - but the Supreme Court reversed a lower court and allowed Texas to move ahead with their voter suppression law. (Blog)
- Jul 03 Alaska State Troopers Set Bar High for Public Service A fugitive surrenders himself after watching an episode of the reality show “Alaska State Troopers,” telling troopers they are the most professional and courteous law enforcement personnel he had dealt with. (Blog)
- Mar 07 Missouri Workers Deliver Signatures to Defend their Rights A right-to-work-for-less bill is among other anti-worker attacks by state legislators. (Blog)
- Feb 24 Snyder to Detroit’s Retirees: Survive on One-Third Less Plan filed today in bankruptcy court leaves the city’s retirees to fend for themselves. (Blog)
- Nov 22 AFSCME Members in Oklahoma Win Back Collective Bargaining Rights Enid residents vote “yes” to give public employees a voice at the negotiating table. (Blog)
- Nov 07 Big Wins for Working Families on Election Night Voters in New Jersey, Seattle vote for minimum wage increases. New York City and Boston voters elect progressive mayors. (Blog)
- Nov 05 On Election Day, Let’s Make Our Voices Heard! Casting your ballot is still the best way to promote positive change for the middle class. (Blog)
- Oct 16 Iowa Council 61 Questions Governor’s Priorities during Shutdown AFSCME Iowa Council 61 President Homan tells governor to put political posturing aside during federal shutdown. (Blog)
- Feb 03 Study Finds Affordable Care Act Improves Incomes of the Bottom 20%
- Feb 03 Obama Delivers State of the Union Address
- Oct 01 AFSCME’s Saunders: “It’s Time for Governing to Take Precedence over Partisan Posturing” Misguided Vendetta-Fueled Agenda to Repeal Affordable Care Act Must Be Stopped (Press Release)
- Sep 13 Secretary-Treasurer Reyes: Violence Against Women Act Needs Protection, Not Cuts, on Its Anniversary Statement of AFSCME Sec.-Treas. Laura Reyes on the 19th Anniversary of the Violence Against Women Act (Press Release)
- Sep 12 When Trust Turns to Rust in the Motor City In Rick Snyder's Michigan, there's no money to make good on the pensions seniors in... (Huffington Post)
- Jul 14 In the Fight for Justice – It Is Time to Stand Our Ground
- Jun 27 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Senate Passage of Immigration Reform
- Jun 26 We Celebrate Today’s Victory But We Know There Is More Work to Be Done Statement of AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Landmark DOMA & Proposition 8 Decisions (Press Release)
- Jun 25 AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on the Supreme Court Decision to Gut the Voting Rights Act
- Jun 19 America's Class War: A Dispatch From the Front Once again, the facts speak for themselves: Unions are the first and last line of... (Huffington Post)
- May 23 Scott Walker's Austerity Plan: Turning Wisconsin Into the New Greece You don't have to look at Athens, Mykonos or Rhodes to see the damage that... (Huffington Post)
- Apr 25 Minnesota child-care union would help kids Everyone benefits if providers are given the right to form a union. (Star Tribune)
The fact is, this spending vs. taxes debate is largely meaningless. Watch our explainer video to learn about corporate tax breaks, the U.S. Government's secret subsidy program that some in...
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was killed on April 4, 1968, after traveling to Memphis to support 1,300 AFSCME sanitation workers who were on strike due to dangerous working conditions,...
In 1968 sanitation workers made history in Memphis, Tennessee. Over a thousand workers went on strike to protest unfair wages, discrimination, and unsafe working conditions that took the lives of...
Pres. Saunders speaks with Les Smith from WHBQ Fox 13 about the events in Memphis commemorating the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s work and the 1968 sanitation...