It’s Unwise to Privatize
Driven by wrong-minded public officials and corporate greed, contracts for public services are doled out without regard to cost effectiveness or quality. Time and time again, the public pays more and gets lower quality of services while public workers are laid off and corruption scandals make the news. AFSCME is fighting hard to preserve quality public services, ensure that public service employees are treated fairly and hold elected officials accountable to the public.
These valuable publications will give you the tools you need to help fight back against efforts to privatize public services.
- Fact Sheet: ContractingProponents of privatization claim that the private sector can do a better job at a cheaper price. But experience shows that privatization often leads to increased costs for the public and reduced accountability to taxpayers.
- Fact Sheet: Higher EducationState funding for higher education has been on the decline for decades. But privatization-based cost saving measures lead to a loss of accountability, fail to save money and lower the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
- Fact Sheet: OutsourcingOutsourcing is promoted as a way to save money, improve services, and shake up so-called “unaccountable bureaucracies.” But in reality, it often fails on all counts, especially in attempts to outsource human and social services.
- Sep 12 HURRICANE IRMA UNLEASHES THE FORCES OF PRIVATIZATION IN PUERTO RICO VULTURES CIRCLING THE wreckage of Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Irma are closing... (The Intercept)
- Aug 25 Private Prison GEO Group to Pay $60,000 To Settle EEOC Sexual Harassment And Retaliation Lawsuit The lawsuit also alleged that Geo assigned Ms. Jones to less desirable posts, disciplined, and... (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC))
- Aug 24 Haslam leaves privatizing state park management decision to next Tennessee governor The Haslam administration is abandoning all efforts to outsource management of Fall Creek Falls State... (Times Free Press)
- Aug 24 California Today: Battle Over a Bill Reaches the State Senate An intense debate is being waged in Sacramento over a proposal that would alter how... (New York Times)
- Aug 24 FAA airport privatization program grounded by financing concerns Only two airports have been privatized since the law was enacted, and one of them,... (Bond Buyer,)
- Aug 23 Kansas Lawmaker Leary Of Plans To Privatize Osawatomie The Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services has unveiled a proposal to build a... (KMUW)
- Aug 23 Niles Township High School Union Contract Ushers In New Era Under the new agreement, 37 staff support positions currently performed by outsourced contract workers will... (Journal & Topics Online)
- Aug 16 With New P3, Delaware Partially Privatizes Economic Development Tentatively called the Delaware Prosperity Partnership, the new nonprofit will be responsible for recruiting new... (Governing)
- Aug 14 Arkansas seeks bids for privatization of juvenile centers Hutchinson said the Arkansas Department of Human Services recommended soliciting a private operator, and that... (Associated Press)
- Aug 02 Operators picked for privatized state parks near Delta The Alaska Division of Parks and Recreation announced earlier this summer that, because of budget... (newsminer.com)
- Aug 01 Harris County Nixes Private Prisons Sheriff Ed Gonzalez moved all Harris County inmates back in-house, potentially saving millions in taxpayer... (Houston Public Media)
- Jul 28 Denver wants to create an office for public-private partnerships, and City Council fears being cut out of the process Denver Mayor Michael Hancock wants to create an office within city government that will screen,... (Denverite)
- Report: How Privatization Increases Inequality
- A Path to Better Public Transit
- Closing the Books: How Government Contractors Hide Public Records
- Standing Guard: How Unaccountable Contracting Fails Governments and Taxpayers
- Put Down That Ax: Alternatives To Layoffs
- Digging For Dollars: A Guide To Local Government Revenues
- AFSCME Privatization Update
- AFSCME Resolutions on Privatization
- AFSCME Publications on Privatization
- Other Resources for Fighting Privatization