It’s Unwise to Privatize
Driven by wrong-minded public officials and corporate greed, contracts for public services are doled out without regard to cost effectiveness or quality. Time and time again, the public pays more and gets lower quality of services while public workers are laid off and corruption scandals make the news. AFSCME is fighting hard to preserve quality public services, ensure that public service employees are treated fairly and hold elected officials accountable to the public.
These valuable publications will give you the tools you need to help fight back against efforts to privatize public services.
- Fact Sheet: ContractingProponents of privatization claim that the private sector can do a better job at a cheaper price. But experience shows that privatization often leads to increased costs for the public and reduced accountability to taxpayers.
- Fact Sheet: Higher EducationState funding for higher education has been on the decline for decades. But privatization-based cost saving measures lead to a loss of accountability, fail to save money and lower the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
- Fact Sheet: OutsourcingOutsourcing is promoted as a way to save money, improve services, and shake up so-called “unaccountable bureaucracies.” But in reality, it often fails on all counts, especially in attempts to outsource human and social services.
- Apr 21 Standing Up for Atlantic City: “Water Rights Are Civil Rights” NAACP president and CEO Cornell Brooks came to Atlantic City on April 20 for the... (Food and Water Watch)
- Apr 20 Puerto Rico pushes to privatize operation of public services Puerto Rico is ready to sign dozens of new deals to privatize the operation of... (The Tribune)
- Apr 19 Pennsylvania Republicans Set Up Push For Liquor Privatization State House Republicans are attempting to chart a new course for liquor sales in Pennsylvania,... (WSKG)
- Apr 18 Why Water Privatization Is a Bad Idea for People and the Planet As water becomes more scarce and infrastructure deteriorates, there could be more efforts to privatize... (AlterNet)
- Apr 18 N.J. Lottery Sales Fall Short Following Privatization Lottery operations management firm Northstar New Jersey promised a return of more than $1.4 billion over... (SNJ Today)
- Apr 17 Battle may be looming over how quickly foster care bill outsources CPS workers’ duties The Texas House sponsor of the big foster care bill signaled Monday he’s going to... (Dallas Morning News)
- Apr 13 State Inspector General looking into MBTA deals The state’s independent Inspector General has launched a “proactive” review of at least one of... (Boston Herald)
- Mar 13 Family: Teen suicides evidence of failure of privatized foster care WLRN-FM reports the death of 14-year-old Naika Venant in January was the second teen suicide... (Palm Beach Post)
- Mar 10 Trump Immigration Crackdown Is Great for Private Prison Stocks Nightmarish as the last two months have been for immigrants threatened by detention or deportation,... (New York Times)
- Mar 10 House votes to abolish one of Gov. Rick Scott’s prized agencies, Enterprise Florida The Florida House shrugged off political threats from Gov. Rick Scott and stuck a dagger... (Miami Herald)
- Mar 10 GAO Weighs in on the State of Federal Contracting Contractors working with major federal agencies delivered $438 billion in products and services in fiscal... (Government Executive)
- Mar 07 Trump and DeVos Push ALEC Privatization Scheme as Studies Document Voucher Failures Trump administration is considering a plan to install a $20 billion federal tax credit scholarship... (Truthout)
- Report: How Privatization Increases Inequality
- A Path to Better Public Transit
- Closing the Books: How Government Contractors Hide Public Records
- Standing Guard: How Unaccountable Contracting Fails Governments and Taxpayers
- Put Down That Ax: Alternatives To Layoffs
- Digging For Dollars: A Guide To Local Government Revenues
- AFSCME Privatization Update
- AFSCME Resolutions on Privatization
- AFSCME Publications on Privatization
- Other Resources for Fighting Privatization