It’s Unwise to Privatize
Driven by wrong-minded public officials and corporate greed, contracts for public services are doled out without regard to cost effectiveness or quality. Time and time again, the public pays more and gets lower quality of services while public workers are laid off and corruption scandals make the news. AFSCME is fighting hard to preserve quality public services, ensure that public service employees are treated fairly and hold elected officials accountable to the public.
These valuable publications will give you the tools you need to help fight back against efforts to privatize public services.
- Fact Sheet: ContractingProponents of privatization claim that the private sector can do a better job at a cheaper price. But experience shows that privatization often leads to increased costs for the public and reduced accountability to taxpayers.
- Fact Sheet: Higher EducationState funding for higher education has been on the decline for decades. But privatization-based cost saving measures lead to a loss of accountability, fail to save money and lower the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
- Fact Sheet: OutsourcingOutsourcing is promoted as a way to save money, improve services, and shake up so-called “unaccountable bureaucracies.” But in reality, it often fails on all counts, especially in attempts to outsource human and social services.
- Jul 21 City manager: Corbin will collect it’s own garbage Corbin City Manager Marlon Sams announced Tuesday that after reviewing the proposals from Poff Carting... (News Journal)
- Jul 20 Iowans critical of privatized Medicaid; Iowa Poll: 47 percent want return to state-run system Iowa's shift to a privately managed Medicaid system continues to draw more detractors than fans,... (Des Moines Register)
- Jul 19 Consumers paid, then paid again Five years ago, the private Kentucky American Water quit including local government fees on water... (Lexington Herald)
- Jul 14 Atlantic City Votes To Protect Its Water From Chris Christie On Tuesday, the Atlantic City Council unanimously passed an ordinance to ensure its residents get... (Alternet)
- Jul 13 School board rejects plan to privatize food services At a contentious July 6 meeting, the board rejected a bid by Chartwells, a food-... (Long Beach Herald)
- Jul 12 Privatization Is Changing America's Relationship With Its Physical Stuff Turning more and more infrastructure projects over to outside companies makes citizens more like customers.... (The Atlantic)
- Jul 10 Lawmakers Aim to Restrict Use of Lowest-Price Contracts The Promoting Value Based Procurement Act (H.R. 3019) would amend the Federal Acquisition Regulation to... (Government Executive)
- Jul 08 Towns sell their public water systems — and come to regret it Neglected water infrastructure is a national plague. By one estimate, U.S. water systems need to... (The Washington Post)
- Jul 06 Oregon hired a company to paint the Ross Island Bridge without knowing its safety record. Then a worker fell. The company's track record includes accidents that killed and injured workers who were not wearing... (The Oregonian)
- Jul 06 Did Miami’s biggest developer avoid labor taxes? The feds are investigating Federal investigators are seeking to learn if the Related Group, Miami’s biggest developer, lowered costs... (Miami Herald)
- Jun 30 This Is How the Trump Administration Will Privatize Our Infrastructure The CH2M contract calls for $2.4 million in annual savings in labor costs starting in... (The Nation)
- Jun 06 Asset recycling may look new and exciting. But it's the last gasp of a failed model Donald Trump wants to privatise public assets and use the profit to fund other projects.... (The Guardian)
- Report: How Privatization Increases Inequality
- A Path to Better Public Transit
- Closing the Books: How Government Contractors Hide Public Records
- Standing Guard: How Unaccountable Contracting Fails Governments and Taxpayers
- Put Down That Ax: Alternatives To Layoffs
- Digging For Dollars: A Guide To Local Government Revenues
- AFSCME Privatization Update
- AFSCME Resolutions on Privatization
- AFSCME Publications on Privatization
- Other Resources for Fighting Privatization