It’s Unwise to Privatize
Driven by wrong-minded public officials and corporate greed, contracts for public services are doled out without regard to cost effectiveness or quality. Time and time again, the public pays more and gets lower quality of services while public workers are laid off and corruption scandals make the news. AFSCME is fighting hard to preserve quality public services, ensure that public service employees are treated fairly and hold elected officials accountable to the public.
These valuable publications will give you the tools you need to help fight back against efforts to privatize public services.
- Fact Sheet: ContractingProponents of privatization claim that the private sector can do a better job at a cheaper price. But experience shows that privatization often leads to increased costs for the public and reduced accountability to taxpayers.
- Fact Sheet: Higher EducationState funding for higher education has been on the decline for decades. But privatization-based cost saving measures lead to a loss of accountability, fail to save money and lower the quality of services, while harming workers and the local economy.
- Fact Sheet: OutsourcingOutsourcing is promoted as a way to save money, improve services, and shake up so-called “unaccountable bureaucracies.” But in reality, it often fails on all counts, especially in attempts to outsource human and social services.
- Nov 10 $300 Billion War Beneath the Street: Fighting to Replace America’s Water Pipes Two powerful industries, plastic and iron, are locked in a lobbying war over the estimated... (New York Times)
- Nov 08 Are Private Prisons Using Forced Labor? Close to 60,000 current and former detainees are suing Geo Group Inc., one of the... (Bloomberg Business Week)
- Nov 06 Opinion: Maggots, food shortages and contraband — this week in Michigan prison scandals In three separate recent incidents, inmates at the G. Robert Cotton Correctional Facility found moldy... (Detroit Free Press)
- Nov 02 The “Amazon Amendment” Would Effectively Hand Government Purchasing Power Over to Amazon Language buried in Section 801 of the National Defense Authorization Act would move Defense Department... (The Intercept)
- Oct 31 Letter: Privatizing library would be a mistake Vineland Public Library is in danger of becoming privatized by an out-of-state company which claimed... (The Daily Journal)
- Oct 24 UCLA student groups advocate for medical center valet workers Victoria Salgado, an organizer at Local 3299, said many workers are concerned for their job... (Daily Bruin)
- Oct 20 The federal workforce is ‘deeply in jeopardy,’ expert says The specter of privatization is looming large in the minds of federal unions, who fear... ( Federal News Radio)
- Oct 12 How the Prison Phone Industry Further Isolates Prisoners The high profits of expensive phone calls and video visits are often too lucrative for... (The American Prospect)
- Oct 11 Pay gap creating crisis in human services sector, agencies say Some Justice Resource Institute staff work in the same building as state employees who are... (Worcester Business Journal)
- Oct 10 More than 70 foster children missing in Kansas Lawmakers were concerned that Kansas Department for Children and Families Secretary Phyllis Gilmore appeared unaware... (Wichita Eagle)
- Oct 10 Consultant: BRF lacks cash, experience to adequately manage hospitals Biomedical Research Foundation’s lack of cash could cause the state to lose funding for free... (KTBS)
- Oct 08 Valet workers transferred from UCLA fear insourcing, loss of benefits “The issue here is that these workers were being shorted on wages – it was... (Daily Bruin)
- Report: How Privatization Increases Inequality
- A Path to Better Public Transit
- Standing Guard: How Unaccountable Contracting Fails Governments and Taxpayers
- Put Down That Ax: Alternatives To Layoffs
- Digging For Dollars: A Guide To Local Government Revenues
- AFSCME Privatization Update
- AFSCME Resolutions on Privatization
- AFSCME Publications on Privatization
- Other Resources for Fighting Privatization