To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Administrative Assistant II
|Department:||Organizing & Field Services|
|Grade:||Excluded Clerical - Grade 8|
|Salary:||Starts at $56,562|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||February 11, 2019|
Provides overall coordination of daily administrative activities of the Director and staff by monitoring the work flow, keeping the Director abreast of daily activities, being knowledgeable of the status of project activities and performing follow-up procedures on matters for the Director.
- Assists the Director and the management staff in handling the department's confidential affairs.
- Receives, reviews, proofreads, and determines the most effective and efficient methods for accomplishing all incoming work.
- Oversees the distribution of the department mail; redirects and refers mail to appropriate departments or persons as necessary.
- Oversees the maintenance of a departmental correspondence and request log identifying type of correspondence, subject, date, and principals.
- Tracks and approves subordinates’ leave requests, allocates assignments to ensure adequate department clerical support, and completes work evaluations.
- Coordinates the collection and preparation of reports and monitors budget expenditures. Initiates and signs "Expense Authorization Forms" (EAFs) for various departmental needs. Consults with General Services or other sources, to determine costs; writes justifications for expenditures.
- Maintains a daily activity tickler file for the Director. Reviews file daily to keep Director abreast of project deadlines or meetings. Manages Director’s travel arrangements. Coordinates professional leave schedule with the Director.
- Maintains department calendar with other information regarding travel and activities of the Director and relevant staff. Schedule is maintained and published weekly for notification to the Executive Office.
- Acts as initial contact/reference person for the department. Reviews, composes, proofreads and answers general correspondence for the Director and makes necessary decisions required to ensure timely accomplishment of the departments' objectives and projects as required.
- Consults regularly with the professional staff to keep abreast of departmental activities which impact on the International's interests. Provides this information to the Director.
- Coordinates department’s activities at related conferences and at the International Convention.
- Performs related work as required.
Education & Experience:
Graduation from high school and extensive knowledge of office management, secretarial skills; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which would be acquired through the completion of an Associate's degree and five years experience as an executive or senior office supervisory support person working in a confidential environment
- Significant supervisory experience with demonstrated ability to effectively delegate, coach and manage a support team.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing situations for the purpose of accomplishing results.
- Ability to type 65 wpm and produce information through the proficient use of MS Word and Excel, MS Outlook, and other database tools. Working knowledge of MS Project and MS PowerPoint.
- Ability to compose correspondence using standard grammar and collect and analyze information; excellent organization and leadership abilities
- Ability to develop and use a confidential filing and retrieval system and to learn software products for daily activities.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a high pressure environment.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
- Exposure to labor organizing experience desired.
Travel and work hours:
- Some travel required and upon occasion work extended hours.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.