|Affiliate:||District Council 36|
|Location:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Posting Date:||August 10, 2017|
The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) is the country’s largest public employees’ union. AFSCME is the largest affiliate of the national AFL-CIO, with more than 1.4 million members and an overall representation of more than 1.6 million public employees in 46 states the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. AFSCME is the fastest growing union in the United States, and is committed to achieving employee dignity and improving the working conditions for working men and women throughout this country.
AFSCME Local Unions in Southern California are joined together in AFSCME District Council 36 to provide professional field representation, coordinated contract campaigns, political action and organizing. The Local Unions affiliated with AFSCME District Council 36 represent more than 20,000 public sector workers in 50 Local Unions. Members in affiliated Local Unions work for county governments, cities, school districts, special governmental districts and transportation agencies.
- The Advocate position focusses specifically on representation for members in administrative hearings.
- Represent Local union and bargaining unit members in grievances, pre-disciplinary proceedings, arbitrations, Civil Service Commission and Employee Relations Commission hearings.
- Interview and prepare the defendant and other witnesses.
- Secure necessary evidence through testimony, witness declarations, subpoena, etc.
- Identify any special or complex issues.
- Review the allegations/positions, evaluate the evidence, and develop a defense/advocate strategy.
- Track and schedule cases with the various hearing bodies.
- Write pre- and post-hearing briefs, witness questions, and other preparatory documents, as necessary.
- Other related work as assigned by the District Council.
- Bachelor’s degree in labor studies or industrial relations; or bachelor’s degree in a related field and two years experience in representing workers in a union setting; or any equivalent combination of education and experience at the discretion of the Council.
- Three or more years of related work experience, including extensive representation before arbitrators, and/or governmental commissions and boards.
- Impeccable diplomatic tact and skill in verbal and written communications.
- Strong interest and working knowledge of labor rights and contract language.
- Extensive project management experience in a high-stress environment.
- Must be experienced in the use of Internet, Microsoft Word and Excel.
Competitive salary and benefits pursuant to Staff Union contract.
AFSCME District Council 36
514 Shatto Place, 3rd floor
Los Angeles, California 90020
ATTN: Vilma Mejia