|Affiliate:||District Council 20|
|Salary:||Starts at $48,000|
|Posting Date:||October 25, 2017|
AFSCME Council 20 is one of the largest Labor Unions in the District of Columbia. We represent the City’s Government and Federal employees, including Social Service, FAA, Public Works, Department of Agriculture, Public School’s Clerical staff and Bus Drivers, Department of Justice, and Tax & Revenue – just to name a few. AFSCME Council 20 is a major player in the City’s political arena as well, leading the way for the residents and our membership. We are eagerly seeking to fill an opening for a Bookkeeper in our office located near the Nationals Ball Park and Navy Yard in Washington, DC.
- Keep accurate financial records for the organization
- Pays all bills to approved venders.
- Deposit all monies in the name of and to the credit of the organization into the banks and depositories designated by the Board.
- Disburse funds, issue check and drafts as ordered by the Executive Board and Executive Director.
- Assures accuracy of membership dues and records.
- Provides an account of all financial transactions as requested to the Executive Director and the Executive Board.
- Reports to the Director and Board as to the financial condition of the Council. Also prepares preliminary budget.
- Calculates and submits payroll, which includes employer insurance and retirement contributions.
- Prepares 990’s, 1099’s and assist the Council’s Auditors with LM2’s for the Council and all Local Union affiliates. Assist with annual and quarterly audits
- Daily interaction with the Executive Director and Office Manager. Regular contact with the Secretary-Treasurer and members of the Executive Board.
- Must maintain current knowledge of all law and practices through verifiable seminar/course attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director
You should have:
- Associates Degree in accounting required. At least 4 years creditable experience in accounting may substitute degree
- At least 4 years of professional experience as a Bookkeeper is preferred.
- Experience with accounting software products such as QuickBooks Pro, Microsoft Office products, FileMaker Pro 13, and some manual dues processing.
- The creativity, motivation and patience to foster member leaders and activists.
- Excellent computer skills, specifically MS Excel.
- Must be trustworthy, have strong communication and customer service skills.
- A keen attention to detail.
- The ability to plan and prioritize effectively, to manage multiple projects and to meet competing demands and deadlines. A flexible schedule, with the willingness to work long and irregular hours based on office and out of office needs.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are required
- Must provide local background check upon interview
We offer a salary range of $48,000 - $76,000 (commensurate with experience.) and excellent benefits. To Apply: Send a resume, cover letter and salary history to email@example.com be sure to reference Bookkeeper in Subject.