Federal Sector Staff Representative
|Affiliate:||District Council 20|
|Posting Date:||October 25, 2017|
AFSCME District Council 20 is one of the largest labor unions representing public and private sector employees in the District of Columbia. We represent the City’s municipal employees at numerous agencies, as well as federal sector employees working at the Department of Justice, the Department of Agriculture, the Peace Corp, the Corporation for National and Community Service, the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, the Voice of America, and the Architect of the Capitol, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the Library of Congress. We are eagerly seeking to fill an opening for a Federal Sector Staff Representative. This position is based in Washington, DC in our offices located near the Nationals’ Ball Park and the Navy Yard.
- The incumbent in this position will be expected to provide support, guidance, and training to our federal sector local union leaders and activists.
- He/she will assist local Presidents with final investigations, evaluating, and processing grievances in its final stages to arbitration; engage with management on labor management related issues; and help to train and support stewards and local leaders.
- The Federal Sector Staff Representative participates in all stages of preparation of cases for arbitration and administrative hearings.
- An important part of this role is internal organizing through the AFSCME Strong Initiative within the bargaining units represented by Council 20.
- Responsiveness to the membership, local leadership, and the leadership of Council 20 is crucial.
- The Federal Sector Staff Representative is also responsible for coordinating communications and organization among the federal sector locals and collaborating on mutually beneficial projects or initiatives.
- The incumbent in this position reports directly to the Executive Director of Council 20 and is responsible for providing detailed reports of his/her activities and the matters facing each local on request.
- Some long-distance travel may be required; local travel is expected on a near daily basis.
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Director.
- This position requires the incumbent to have demonstrated knowledge of and dedication to the labor movement.
- At least three years of prior experience in a labor related context in the federal sector is mandatory.
- Labor organizing experience is a must.
- The abilities to work well with diverse groups of people; communicate well orally and in writing; flexibly handle multiple projects; and meet deadlines are all key to success in this position.
- The incumbent must be enthusiastic and possess excellent interpersonal skills to act effectively as a positive ambassador of Council 20.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred, but a combination of education and experience may be substituted for a degree.
- The Federal Sector Staff Representative is required to maintain a current driver’s license.
Compensation and Benefits
Council 20 offers a competitive salary and generous benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. A car allowance is provided.
Send a resume, cover letter, and salary history to AFSCME, District Council 20’s Executive Director Andrew Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the Federal Sector Staff Representative position.