To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Field Coordinator (2 Vacancies)
|Department:||Organizing & Field Services|
|Grade:||Management Grade 4A|
|Salary:||Starts at $86,974|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||October 02, 2017|
This position is supervisory in nature and is primarily responsible for managing, evaluating and training employees in the field. This position is also a hands on position which requires day to day direct involvement in planning, leading and conducting a wide array of activities.
- Supervises International Union Representatives, Field Office Assistants, OITs, Organizers, and Lead organizers in daily activities.
- Monitors the effectiveness of supervised staff by measuring progress against goals, directly observing their skills and coaching them to meet expectations.
- Conducts performance appraisals and establishes and monitors development plans and performance improvement plans.
- Applies, with deep expertise and proficiency, all elements of the AFSCME Power to Win program with the capacity to model and coach on all facets of the AFSCME Organizing Model.
- Researches potential organizing targets. Analyzes data applies other criteria to assess possible targets of organizing. Conducts and may lead the investigation of organizing targets to gather data and information, build a list of workers, assesses worker interest, and scouts out the physical plant without divulging the unions presence.
- Writes campaign plans and ensures that the written plans of team members are appropriate for the overall plan. Planning includes resource and staff needs as well as operational activities.
- Performs affiliate officer suspension investigations
- Oversees local union administratorships. Ensures the overall ADM objectives and goals are me within the time parameters of the overall plan
- Oversees the regional pink tag operation
- Integrates into campaign activities, performs organizing assignments of all kinds and serves as a role model to new staff.
- Directs organizer recruitment activities.
- Develops and implements Organizer development trainings and activities.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from an accredited four year college or university
- 5 - 7 years’ experience in a union demonstrating progressive advancement, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of training and principles of effective supervision and mentoring
- Extensive knowledge of union organizing practice and principles
- Extensive knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing and representation
- Extensive knowledge of AFSCME’s internal structure and experience in working with subordinate bodies
- Ability to conduct research and gather information to evaluate targets, develop strategies and formulate conclusions
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of audiences to include managers, colleagues, prospective union members, targeted employers, affiliates etc.
- Ability to lead, train and coordinate experienced organizing staff, volunteer organizers and committee members
- Ability to work effectively with Council and Local Union staff on a project basis
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and some abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and, to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written and oral form
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including excellent “one-on-one” interpersonal communications
- Fluent bilingual skills are desirable
Travel and work hours
- Driving, travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours are required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Posting Date: October 2, 2017