|Affiliate:||ACE-AFSCME Local 2250|
|Location:||Prince George’s County MD|
|Posting Date:||January 08, 2018|
AFSCME Local 2250 is one of AFSCME largest education support locals, representing over 6,000 public members. The position is a highly visible position within Prince George’s County Public Schools system within Prince George’s County MD.
Posting for fulltime Field Representative/Organizer position
Local 2250 are seeking an experienced, highly-skilled and dedicated trade unionist to serve as a representative/organizer to on advocate on behalf of the Local for and our members.
- Perform other duties as directive by the Executive Director and Field Service Director. Write and submit grievances on behalf of union members, advocate for members during appeals, arbitrations, louder mill hearings and worksite meetings.
- Assist with internal organizing campaigns, and inform members regularly of union rights and benefits.
- Oversee and assist in monthly schedule charter meetings, worksite visits, plan and conduct trainings.
- Promote and recruit members into AFSCME PEOPLE PAC;
- Participate in new employee orientation sessions, political and community events.
- Participate and support campaigns conducted by local.
- Mobilizes membership on issues related to their rights under their union and employment contracts.
- Work with membership to train and develop rank and file leaders.
- Visit member’s worksites regularly to secure visibility of the local.
Required Personal Attributes:
- Personal Integrity – Demonstrate by honesty and candor in dealing with others, and ability to develop trust with members, school staff, officers, stewards, politicians and other labor representatives;
- Self Confidence – The ability to project a positive self –image through effective written and oral communication;
- Assertiveness – The ability to forthright the union’s position in a variety of emotionally charged forums;
- Decisiveness – The ability to make timely decisions based on sound reason and available data;
- Flexibility – The ability to focus on overall mission of the union internally/externally; environments, as well as extended work hours and weekends;
Required Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or G.E.D is required; Bachelor’s Degree or College level course in labor and industrial relations, economics, or relayed fields is preferred. Bilingual (Spanish) skills desirable but not required. Experience as a labor staff representative or organizer preferred;
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- A thorough understanding of public sector unionism and labor law;
- Knowledge of the structure, functions, and personnel policies of local government jurisdictions;
- Strong oral and written skills; the ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data and information from variety of sources;
- The ability to prepare clear concise written correspondence, flyers, reports, and briefs;
- Valid driver’s license and properly registered vehicle required;
- Paid vacations, health insurance and retirement benefits;
Contact: Jim Cullen, International ACE- AFSCME Administrator
14440 Old Mill RD, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772
Closing Date: for applicants 1/19/2018
Applying applicants must submit resume for consideration