|Affiliate:||UEMSW-AFSCME Local 4911|
|Location:||Northern California Bay Area|
|Posting Date:||June 23, 2017|
The Labor Representatives shall conduct the affairs of the local in accordance with the AFSCME Constitution and UEMSW-AFSCME Local 4911 Bylaws and within policy decisions of the Local 4911 Executive Board of Directors. The Labor Representative handles matters related to collective bargaining, contract administration, and organizing.
- Effectively address member and employer questions and problems.
- Ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements.
- Maintain contracts, attend labor management meetings, process grievances, attend member investigatory meetings, and file unfair labor practices.
- Prepare for arbitrations.
- Participate in contract campaigns and assist with collective bargaining efforts.
- Attend meetings, pickets, seminars, and conferences.
- Visit worksite locations and engage with membership.
- Communicate and interact with the union membership.
- Act as liaison between membership and Executive Board of Directors.
- Recruit, train, assist, monitor, and utilize stewards.
- Participate in local and state political action and actively participate in local labor councils (CLCs).
- Conduct one-on-one organizing both internally and externally, recruit supporters and leaders, guide their activities on behalf of the union, and identify attitudes of individual workers.
- Recruit volunteer organizers from within the United EMS Workers/AFSCME membership.
- Develop broad representative organizing committees of worker-leaders.
- Visit job sites to communicate with workers.
- Visits workers in their homes.
- Strong commitment to social justice and building the labor movement.
- Experience and training necessary to conduct contract negotiations.
- Ability to work with and organize a wide variety of people.
- Proven ability to organize and plan work.
- Leadership skills to educate and motivate members.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in complex situations.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to write well and author letters, newsletters, and contract language.
- Knowledge of or ability to acquire computer skills.
- Ability to work in an autonomous environment.
- Must be a self-starter, and be able to demonstrate a natural self-motivation toward tasks and areas of responsibility.
- Ability to use everyday emerging technology.
- BA Degree in related field.
- Has experience working with or in the EMS field.
To apply, applicants must submit a resume or CV and a cover letter to email@example.com Your cover letter should include qualifications, goals, and experience working with EMS professionals and/or labor unions.