To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
|Department:||Organizing & Field Services|
|Grade:||USU – Grade 9|
|Salary:||Starts at $78,421|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||October 03, 2018|
This position is responsible for planning, leading and conducting a wide array of organizing activities, including targeting, target reconnaissance, home visits, leadership recruitment, training volunteers, rating workers, running elections, initiating card check campaigns and conducting first-contract campaigns based on the AFSCME Organizing Model.
- Expert knowledge of and proficiency in applying all elements of the AFSCME Organizing Model with the capacity to model and coach on all facets of the AFSCME Organizing Model.
- Leads a team of staff organizers and volunteers for an organizing campaign.
- Researches potential organizing targets. Analyzes data and applies other criteria to assess possible targets of organizing. Conducts and may lead the investigation of organizing targets to gather data and information, build a list of workers, assess worker interest, and scout out the physical plant without divulging the union’s presence.
- Conducts one-on-one organizing through home and work site visits to assess and recruit supporters and leaders. Guides their activities on behalf of the union and identifies attitudes of individual workers to plan appropriate messaging/actions; models activities and appropriate behaviors to other Organizers.
- Serves as a team leader whose primary responsibility is to model, coach and train organizing staff on best practices for organizing.
- Writes organizing plans and ensures that the written plans of team members are appropriate for the overall plan. Planning includes resource and staff needs as well as operational activities.
- Monitors team effectiveness and evaluates progress against the campaign plan and goals. Participates in coaching and in providing training to organizer staff.
- Provides for recruitment of volunteer organizers from within the AFSCME membership and for their training in house calling and other campaign elements.
- Develops broad, representative organizing committees of worker-leaders, and trains and deploys them to move the campaign.
- Develops message and communications program. Writes leaflets and other materials for organizing campaigns.
- Plans and conducts meetings with organizing committees and other workers in the campaign, including public speaking and conducting workshops.
- Develops and leads worker mobilizations.
- Develops and implements strategies to counter anti-union campaigns.
- Operates computer database program and provides for the maintenance of organizing database.
- Informs Area Organizing Director, Regional Director or other supervisor of activities, developments and progress of assigned campaigns.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; 5 to 7 years experience in union organizing, campaign development, etc. at a very seasoned level; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of training and principles of effective leadership and mentoring.
- Extensive knowledge of union organizing practice and principles.
- Extensive knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing.
- Extensive knowledge of anti-union employer tactics.
- Ability to conduct research on employers and gather information to evaluate organizing targets, develop organizing lists, implement organizing strategies and formulate conclusions.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of audiences to include managers, colleagues, prospective union members, targeted employers, etc.
- Ability to lead, train, and coordinate experienced organizing staff, organizer trainees, volunteer organizers and organizing committee members.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and some abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and, to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written and oral form.
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including excellent “one-on-one” interpersonal communications.
- Fluent bilingual skills are desirable.
Travel and work hours:
- Driving, travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours are required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Posting Date: October 3, 2018