To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Legislative Affairs Manager
|Grade:||Management Grade 6|
|Salary:||Starts at $95,048|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||October 12, 2018|
- Works with the Political and Legislative Director to develop and help execute AFSCME’s state legislative and budgetary strategy in California.
- Develop and implement strategies for moving or stopping state and local legislation, including working with affiliate and state legislative leaders and their staff.
- Assisting AFSCME affiliates with contract negotiations through the use of political influence and relationships with elected officials and their staff.
- Works with AFSCME affiliates to mobilize members for participation in state legislative and budgetary proceedings.
- Lobby members of the legislature, administration, other state agencies, departments and local officials as needed.
- Prepare reports on legislative, political, budgetary and administrative issues and matters of importance to the union.
- Coordinate the planning, execution and management of affiliate and/or International Union campaigns.
- Conduct political and legislative trainings and workshops for AFSCME affiliates and coalition partners.
- Develop relationships with allies and coalitions to help advance AFSCME’s state legislative and budgetary agenda.
- Assist the Political and Legislative Director in promoting and implementing the PEOPLE program.
Education and Experience:
- Three to ten years of related work experience.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college with course work in political science, government, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience in lobbying, public speaking and writing.
- Extensive experience in legislative strategies, including process, bill analysis and coalition building.
- Effective political analysis skills.
- Ability to work under deadline pressures.
- Familiarity with national political scenes.
- Knowledge of scientific polling techniques.
- Knowledge of computer software.
Travel and work hours:
- Extensive travel, extended work hours and a valid driver’s license are required. Temporary relocation may be necessary. Commitment to the union and its mission.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.