Member Connection Representative
|Salary:||Starts at $53,033|
|Posting Date:||May 29, 2019|
Who We Are:
The Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) has a long history of fighting for workers’ rights and employee benefits while tackling social justice issues with passion and energy. The WFSE, Council 28 has been operating in the state capital for over 75 years. Our staff fight for fairness and equality as well as ensuring the hard working men and women of state government, higher education institutions, and public service workers get better pay, better health care, better retirement, and a healthy work environment. There’s more to accomplish, and with the right personnel, we believe we can accomplish it. Come join our team and be a part of a larger mission that will make an impact for years to come. Learn more about who we are at: wfse.org.
What We’re Looking For:
Are you looking to apply your labor background and customer service skills in a dynamic way? If so, the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is recruiting to fill a vacancy in our Member Connection Representative job class. This position serves as a first line resource in addressing member needs and questions, as well as initially supporting stewards, members, and other WFSE staff in the processing and tracking of grievances. This position works as part of a team to assist in facilitating internal organizing and offering solutions to workplace issues.
This position also assists with: advertising and informing members of opportunities to participate in workplace informational meetings and actions; political grassroots organizing; Get out the Vote (GOTV); in coordination with field offices schedule trainings for stewards and members and do general outreach to build the union and further our organizing goals. The MCR will work within a sophisticated communication center and uses case management technology to provide support to WFSE members.
The MCR has the technical expertise of multiple contracts and provides excellent union care and support services regarding: grievance-related issues, investigations, member meetings, and general inquiries within their respective contract. The MCR works to ensure that member issues are addressed in a timely fashion and calls are coordinated with the appropriate steward, member leader, activist, or WFSE staff member for further assistance if needed.
Additional duties include:
- Research relevant resources to assist members as needed, identify member representation needs, and troubleshoots next steps to provide optimal support for the member.
- Assist with member walk-ins and address issues face-to-face with members as needed.
- Recruit non-members to join the union, sign-up for PEOPLE, attend events and inform members of union benefits and activities.
- Documents member interactions in a tracking system(s) to help identify trends and analyze data to consistently improve support where needed.
- Conduct class registration, initial fact finding of member complaints and/or discipline, grievances and other representation and membership questions.
- Four (4) years of experience working in union work, a customer service center or similar environment.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Windows, Office and other productivity software.
- Proficient analytical skills necessary to interpret contract language, investigate, and process grievances.
- Experience identifying contract proposals based on observations and application of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Experience tracking, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess creativity and an ability to “think out of the box”.
- Experience within a communication center and help desk is desirable, including call logging, incident tracking, case management, and/or similar task.
- Previous experience as a member representative, shop steward, or similar position.
This position is overtime eligible. Some travel may be required. Must have a valid driver’s license, use of personal vehicle, and valid vehicle insurance. Benefits include annual and sick leave, $150 cell phone allowance, medical/dental, life, and long term disability insurance, and holidays. Salary range is $53,033 – $61,298 and will be determined commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position(s), applicants must submit a resume, letter of interest, and at least three (3) professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter of interest should clearly explain how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
This position is open until filled; however, first round of application assessments will be conducted fourteen (14) days after the initial job posting date. It is to the applicant's advantage to apply as early as possible.
The Washington Federation of State Employees is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and equal access in a non-discriminatory manner to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.
Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or for an alternative format may contact the Human Resources Director, Ben McDonald at (360) 352-7603 or email@example.com. Persons of disability or those who are deaf or hard of hearing can call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388. The WFSE complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Federal Form I-9. The selected candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States consistent with the requirements of that form on the first day of employment.