|Affiliate:||AFSCME Council 17|
|Location:||Baton Rouge Louisiana|
|Posting Date:||February 22, 2019|
This position has a wide range of responsibilities and is involved in assisting locals and subordinate chapters representing a variety of occupations in various agencies. These groups may be spread throughout various facilities in the state, parish, or municipality located in the State of Louisiana.
- Actively promotes the union’s vision for building strength and achieving growth to current and potential members and leaders and guides their activity on behalf of the union.
- Identifies worker leader, educate and transforms them into activists, stewards, and leaders.
- Develops and leads worker mobilizations for internal and external organizing and political efforts. Will be engaged in: worksite activities, home visits, political and legislative meetings and forums that relate to the workers’ economics and working conditions.
- Assists stewards and other work site leaders in developing strategies for contract negotiations, contract campaigns, legislative campaigns, internal organizing, AFSCME Strong Trainings, anti-privatization fights and other leading programs of the union.
- In partnership with local leadership, handles all aspects of servicing, including filing of grievances; labor management relations; contract negotiations; and all other duties associated with servicing and building the locals, or its sub-chapters.
- Conducts research, gathers information, and devises effective strategies for legislative campaigns that benefits worker’s conditions, negotiating collective bargaining agreements, preparing for civil service hearings and other servicing and organizing activities.
- Maintains regular communication with leaders and members through local union meetings (i.e. worksite meetings at various hours, general membership and executive board meetings), job site visits, one-on-one meetings, house visits to maintain member rapport, monitor worker attitudes and to guide their activity on behalf of the union.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Driving, travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours may be required.
High school diploma or equivalent and 3 to 5 years of relevant organizing/servicing experience or any combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of labor unions and labor relations and servicing union members at a professional level.
- Knowledge of computers and applicable software.
- Ability to plan and coordinate work activities and keep detailed records and file reports in a timely manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with employees and members.
- Ability to work long hours independently to accomplish union’s objectives.
- Ability to conduct research and gather information for negotiations, civil service hearings, strategy development and other servicing activities.
- Ability to negotiate collective bargaining agreements.
- Ability to keep abreast of political and legislative activity that impact our workers and pursue a political and legislative strategy and plan of action on behalf of the workers we represent.
- Ability to develop persuasive written and graphic documents.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively plan workers actions.
- Valid driver’s license
- Bilingual skills desirable but not required.
Starting Date: March 14th, 2019 (negotiable).
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Lloyd Permaul, Council 17 Deputy Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to: AFSCME Council 17
3888 South Sherwood Forest Blvd.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70816