To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
|Department:||Organizing & Field Services|
|Grade:||United Staff Union – Grade 5|
|Salary:||Starts at $50,412|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||January 28, 2019|
This position is responsible for successfully conducting and running organizing campaigns. Performs activities associated with campaigns, organizes committees, makes home visits, performs voter assessment, and plans campaigns implementing the AFSCME Organizing Model. Implementation of the AFSCME Organizing Model includes targeting, pre-petition campaigns, election campaigns, card-check campaigns, and first contract campaigns.
- Proficient in all elements of the “AFSCME Organizing Model”.
- Explores organizing targets to gather data and information, builds a list of workers, assesses interest, and scouts out the physical plant without divulging the union’s presence.
- Conducts one-on-one organizing, recruits supporters and leaders, guides their activities on behalf of the union, and identifies attitudes of individual workers.
- Recruits volunteer organizers from within the AFSCME membership.
- Develops broad representative organizing committees of worker-leaders.
- Visits job sites to communicate with workers.
- Visits workers in their homes.
- Writes leaflets and other materials for organizing campaign.
- Obtains and creates employee lists.
- Maintains lists, which may include input into, and operation of, computerized database systems.
- Informs Lead Organizer and Area Organizing Director or other supervisor of activities, developments and progress of organizing activity, including worker meetings.
- Briefs AFSCME staff specialists from technical departments, both orally and in writing regarding campaign progress and issues.
Education and Experience
High school diploma and 6 months to 3 years experience in union organizing; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge,
- Knowledge of union organizing practices and principles; basic knowledge of labor laws, and union organizing; knowledge of anti-union employer tactics.
- Possesses leadership and motivational skills and exhibits good oral and written communication skills.
- Fluent bilingual skills are desirable.
Travel, Driving & Work hours:
- Work is performed in a variety of employment settings.
Valid automobile driver’s license, extended travel, variable work schedules and temporary assignments are necessary.