Project Communications Coordinator
|Affiliate:||AFSCME Council 17|
|Location:||Baton Rouge, Louisiana|
|Salary:||Starts at Competitive Salary and Benefits Package|
|Posting Date:||September 08, 2017|
This position is responsible for coordinating communications work for the Lift Up Louisiana Campaign. Lift Up Louisiana is an AFSCME Council 17 project to organize public workers for economic justice.
The Communications Coordinator reports to the Organizing Director, and works in the field to lift up the stories, victories and fights of public workers. The Coordinator produces print, electronic, digital and other materials to support Lift Up Louisiana.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of basic communications strategies and tactics.
- Develops leaflets, brochures, newsletters and direct mail pieces, video and other materials with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Assists with worker and community mobilizations.
- Executes earned and paid media efforts, with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Assists with digital media campaigns, including utilization of websites, email and texting with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Assists with conducting training in communications strategy, message development and delivery techniques to union members.
- Performs other duties as required to support the campaign.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in labor relations, communications, political science or liberal arts.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in online organizing, digital media buying, strategic communications and issue, political or labor organizing; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in organizing campaigns.
- Knowledge of and experience with media relations.
- Basic knowledge of graphic design software, video production and printing techniques.
- Knowledge and experience with electronic forms of communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to develop a campaign message and enforce message discipline in fast-paced campaigns.
- Ability to write and create leaflets, brochures, direct mail pieces, video scripts and other materials.
- Ability to communicate in a foreign language desirable.
Physical Requirements (as required by ADA)
Work is performed both in the field and in the office. Will be required to work long and unusual hours. Requires extended work hours, extended time at worksites and in the field. Must have a valid driver’s license.