To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Regional Communications Coordinator (Eastern Region)
|Grade:||United Staff Union — Grade 7|
|Salary:||Starts at $67,119|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||September 20, 2019|
This position in the Communications Department is responsible for coordinating communications strategies in organizing, contract and other priority campaigns within a specified region of the country. Facilitates implementation of these strategies with direction from International staff. Works closely with affiliates, unorganized workers and members. Also provides communications training for International staff and affiliates and produces print, digital and other materials to support AFSCME’s priorities within the region. Incumbent is responsible for the development and implementation of communications strategies and tactics.
- Assists AFSCME affiliates with communications capacity needs and facilitates access to International union resources.
- Supports the planning and implementation of communications strategies and tactics for campaign priorities within a specified region of the country in coordination with International staff and affiliates.
- Develops leaflets, brochures and direct mail pieces, video and other materials with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Executes earned and paid media efforts, including conceiving and holding events such as press conferences and actions; also drafts op-eds and letters, with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Assists with conceiving and implementing comprehensive digital campaigns that ladder both members and potential members into deeper engagement and utilize gamut of channels, (websites, email, social media, and texting, etc.) with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Assists with worker and community mobilization for priority campaigns within a specified region of the country.
- Assists with conducting training in communications strategy and best practices, message development and delivery techniques, and digital tools.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in labor relations, communications, political science or liberal arts and 3-5 years of experience in labor, political or community organizing and campaign or a combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of and experience in advocacy communications and labor, political or community organizing campaigns.
- Experience developing and implementing creative and multi-dimensional communications strategies, including identifying and creating opportunities to drive message.
- Knowledge of and experience with media relations.
- Basic knowledge of design and video editing tools, such Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere).
- Ability to analyze research data and make logical conclusions.
- Experience running multi-channel digital campaigns and knowledge of digital media platforms including web content management systems, email tools, social media, etc.
- Ability to coordinate multidimensional campaign communications strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Ability to write and create leaflets, brochures, direct mail pieces, video scripts and other materials. Ability to develop a campaign message and enforce message discipline in fast-paced campaigns.
- Ability to use initiative to execute projects that may be vaguely defined.
- Ability to set priorities, work under pressure, handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet established deadlines, and use initiative to execute projects that may be vaguely defined.
- Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours.
- Requires a high level of judgment and ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to communicate in a foreign language desirable.
Travel and work hours:
- Travel and extended work hours may be required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.