To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Regional Communications Coordinator (Western Region)
|Location:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Grade:||United Staff Union — Grade 7|
|Salary:||Starts at $67,119|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||October 09, 2019|
This position in the Communications Department is responsible for coordinating communications strategies in organizing, contract and other priority campaigns within a specified region of the country. Facilitates implementation of these strategies with direction from International staff. Works closely with affiliates, unorganized workers and members. Also provides communications training for International staff and affiliates and produces print, digital and other materials to support AFSCME’s priorities within the region. Incumbent is responsible for the development and implementation of communications strategies and tactics.
- Assists AFSCME affiliates with communications capacity needs and facilitates access to International union resources.
- Supports the planning and implementation of communications strategies and tactics for campaign priorities within a specified region of the country in coordination with International staff and affiliates.
- Develops leaflets, brochures and direct mail pieces, video and other materials with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Executes earned and paid media efforts, including conceiving and holding events such as press conferences and actions; also drafts op-eds and letters, with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Assists with digital media campaigns, including the use of websites, email and text messaging with direction and guidance from International staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the department and its mission.
- Assists with worker and community mobilization for priority campaigns within a specified region of the country.
- Assists with conducting training in communications strategy and best practices, message development and delivery techniques.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in labor relations, communications, political science or liberal arts and 3-5 years of experience in labor, political or community organizing and campaign or a combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of and experience in organizing campaigns.
- Knowledge of and experience in media relations, with basic knowledge of graphic design software, video production and printing techniques.
- Knowledge and experience with electronic forms of communications.
- Ability to coordinate multidimensional campaign strategies.
- Ability to develop a campaign message and enforce message discipline in fast-paced campaign environments.
- Ability to analyze research data and make logical conclusions.
- Ability to write and create leaflets, brochures, direct mail pieces, video scripts and other materials.
- Ability to use initiative to execute projects that may be vaguely defined.
- Ability to communicate in a foreign language desirable.
Travel and work hours:
- Travel and extended work hours may be required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.