|Affiliate:||Illinois Council 31|
|Posting Date:||June 26, 2017|
AFSCME Council 31 is one of Illinois' largest and most active unions, representing over 90,000 active and retired public service workers in over 290 affiliated local unions. Council 31 has a long tradition of democratic, progressive trade unionism and plays a key role in the Illinois labor movement, as well as in the state's political and legislative arenas. It has pioneered new strategies for organizing the unorganized, winning tough contract fights, and developing innovative programs to improve workers' lives. AFSCME members work in a wide range of occupations--including health care, criminal justice, clerical, maintenance, public works, human services and educational support.
AFSCME Council 31 currently has a Staff Representative position open in Central Illinois. Staff Representatives are the field staff who work directly with local unions to build their capacity to effectively advance the interests of their members.
- Helps develop and implement strategies to involve union members in activities that build the local union's capacity to effectively represent employees in its jurisdiction, including internal communication and member mobilization.
- Fosters recruitment and training of a network of union stewards who can assist members in solving problems on the job through contract enforcement and direct action.
- Lead negotiator in bargaining contracts for assigned local unions.
- Serves as liaison with local unions regarding all elements of Council 31's political and legislative programs, including recruiting members to participate in political action and grassroots lobbying efforts.
- Trains and works with local union leadership to ensure effective meetings, sound fiscal practices, and good internal communication.
- Prepares and presents grievance arbitration cases as the principal union advocate.
- Prepares leaflets, bulletins, etc. for communication with membership.
- Strong commitment to social justice and building the labor movement
- Experience and training necessary to conduct contract negotiations
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people
- Proven ability to organize and plan work
- Leadership skills to educate and motivate members
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in complex situations
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to write well and to author letters, newsletters and contract language
- Knowledge of or ability to acquire computer skills
- College degree in labor-related field; or extensive experience and demonstrated ability in labor relations, labor organizing or related work.
Competitive salary structure. Excellent benefit package. Send resume to:
AFSCME Council 31
205 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60601
or email to email@example.com