To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Strategic Communications Specialist
|Grade:||United Staff Union - Grade 8|
|Salary:||Starts at $71,730|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||October 03, 2017|
This position is responsible for developing magazine-style investigative content for digital platforms, including reporting and writing in-depth articles and projects for the AFSCME Now blog, AFSCME’s primary news hub. Incumbent is expected to balance long-term projects with daily assignments to create blog posts, member profiles, news items, and fulfill editing assignments such as proofreading member emails, Facebook posts and other internal and external materials developed by the Communications Department. Incumbent performs editorial duties on a variety of Communications Department platforms including AFSCME’s blog (AFSCME Now), social media, publications and on documents from other departments, either on a continuing or periodic basis. Incumbent is expected to demonstrate a thorough understanding of labor issues, AFSCME member research, social media and other online metrics, and current events.
- Drafts digital-focused articles, blog posts and investigative and explanatory projects, including member profiles, quick-hit issue explainers, “deep dives” into issues of interest to working people, social media content and scripts for video narratives.
- Responsible for conducting research of topics, source interviews, writing and editing of content for a variety of AFSCME publications and initiatives.
- Receives assignments from team leader and generates story ideas, works closely with across units and departments, AFSCME’s new Data & Analytics Division, and works under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Content and Engagement Strategies.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of AFSCME member research, branding initiatives, organizational social media strategy, online metrics and current events.
- Works in partnership with Communications field staff on various writing assignments. Establishes and maintains a network of "sources" that provide newsworthy information about affiliate and other union-related events within their locals, communities and regions. Reads affiliate newsletters and websites for additional information.
- Makes independent decisions regarding the selection, assignments and direction of video and photography in order to obtain visuals that amplify a story. “Pre- edits” and proofreads own copy before handing it in; also pre-selects best photos from assignments he/she has made.
- Performs other related duties to support departmental objectives, including convention and institutional publication duties, as assigned.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major or extensive course work in journalism or a substantive liberal-arts field. Three to five years of related publications or public affairs/communications work experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of communications and media operations and in producing advocacy journalism.
- Well-honed ability to produce, write and edit digital products, including magazine- style features, blog posts, advertisements, emails, video scripts, news articles/items and, if called upon, media materials such as press releases, officer statements, brochures and flyers.
- Thorough understanding of social media platform writing, including Facebook and Twitter, and ability to navigate the Internet, especially at using it for complex research projects; the ability to plan and write web items in a reader-friendly style. Up-to-date knowledge of labor movement, politics and related special interests, as well as current events.
- Ability to work under and meet tight deadlines, juggle several assignments, pay close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to use a personal computer and associated software.
- Ability to communicate in English, Spanish desirable.
- Ability to travel for AFSCME business, including political and organizing campaigns required.
Posting Date: October 3, 2017