To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Strategic Communications Specialist I – 3 positions
|Grade:||USU Grade 8|
|Salary:||Starts at $72,447|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||October 18, 2018|
This position is responsible for the communications strategy and implementation of major organizing, contract and other priority campaigns. Works closely with International staff, affiliates, unorganized workers and members. Provides communications training for International staff and affiliates, and produces print, digital and other assets to support AFSCME’s priority initiatives. Incumbents are responsible for the development and execution of communications plans and strategies.
- Assists in developing and driving comprehensive communications strategies incorporating earned and paid traditional and digital communications for organizing and other priority campaigns in coordination with International staff and affiliates.
- Assists with writing plans with clearly defined and measurable goals, messaging, tactics, and timelines.
- Assists with creation of campaign messaging and talking points.
- Assists with writing and designing campaign communications, including leaflets, brochures and direct mail pieces, social media and other online content, phone scripts, videos and more for internal and external organizing campaigns.
- Assists with driving earned media, including conceiving and holding events such as press conferences and actions; also drafts op-eds and letters.
- Assists with developing and executing comprehensive online campaigns with the goal of list-building, and laddering both members and potential members into deeper engagement.
- Assists with conducting trainings on campaign messages, digital tools and communications best practices for campaign staff, committee members, volunteer organizers and others.
- Assists with worker mobilization as well as community and political outreach efforts associated with targeted campaigns.
- Works with Organizing & Field Services and affiliates to develop their organizing communications capacity.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Education and Experience Requirement:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with coursework in labor relations, communications, political science or liberal arts.
3-5 years of experience in advocacy communications for labor, political or community organizing campaigns, or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience in advocacy communications and labor, political or community organizing campaigns.
- Experience developing and implementing creative and multi-dimensional communications strategies, including identifying and creating opportunities to drive message.
- Knowledge of and experience with earned media and media relations.
- Experience running multi-channel digital campaigns and knowledge of digital media platforms including web content management systems, email tools, social media, etc.
- Experience with design and video editing tools, such Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; and ability to write and create leaflets, brochures, direct mail pieces, video scripts and other materials.
- Ability to develop a campaign message and enforce message discipline in fast-paced campaigns.
- Ability to analyze research data and make logical conclusions.
- Ability to set priorities, work under pressure, handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet established deadlines, and use initiative to execute projects that may be vaguely defined.
- Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours.
- Requires a high level of judgment and ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to communicate in a foreign language desirable.
Extended Hours and Travel:
- Extensive travel, extended work hours and a valid driver’s license are required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Date: October 18, 2018