|Affiliate:||District Council 36|
|Location:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Posting Date:||December 20, 2018|
The Union Representative position provides the full range of representation to members in their assigned areas. This includes assisting, developing, training, and mentoring leaders in Local union administration, grievance handling through the arbitration level, contract negotiations, appearances before governmental councils, boards and commissions, political action, internal communications program, and internal and external organizing.
- Provide training and assistance in the administration of Local unions.
- Provide training and assist leaders in the creation of Local union bulletins and newsletters.
- Negotiate or assist in contract negotiations, including proposal development, contract campaigns and negotiations skills.
- Work with leaders in the development and implementation of worksite issue campaigns.
- Train and assist stewards and officers in representation work, including grievances and disciplinary appeals up to and including arbitrations.
- Train and assist leaders in the development of political action programs, including assessing potential candidates for office, recruit and train member political activists, and lobbying elected officials.
- Assist leaders in internal and external organizing campaigns.
- Other related duties as required.
- Three or more years of related work experience.
- Ability to establish rapport with and organize members in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups.
- Experience in advocacy and leadership.
- Impeccable diplomatic tact and skill in verbal and written communications.
- Quick learner possessing strong interest and working knowledge of labor rights and contract language.
- Extensive project management experience in a high-stress environment.
- Proven effectiveness in working with Local Union activists.
- Must be experienced in the use of Internet and Microsoft Office applications.
AFSCME Council 36 offers competitive salary and benefits. Council 36 offers a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension.
Submit résumé to:
AFSCME District Council 36
514 Shatto Place, 3rd floor
Los Angeles, California 90020
ATTN: Steve Koffroth
AFSCME District Council 36 is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.