Front-End Web Developer
|Affiliate:||OCSEA/AFSCME Local 11|
|Posting Date:||December 11, 2018|
Job Goal: To ensure that OCSEA websites and other online technologies (i.e. texting , advocacy email systems, social media) remain effective systems for communicating with and mobilizing OCSEA members regarding union activities, programs, initiatives, issues, campaigns and strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Works to enhance communications to OCSEA members, the public and decision makers by:
Developing, designing and implementing web and mobile strategies to educate and mobilize members, and to complement existing offline member communications; Providing functional and appealing online strategies and enhancements using consistent branding and high usability standards. Writing, editing and proofing content for websites, electronic newsletters, online advocacy campaigns, print publications and social media. Analyzing website, email and social media trends, generating reports, and recommending strategies to identify new opportunities, improve communications and increase response rates; Implementing website, email and social media usability standards, conducting surveys, user testing and focus groups in an effort to identify content opportunities and implement improvements; Reviewing and updating the union's front end technologies, graphic design, navigation, information architecture, and functionality as warranted.
Supports the overall work of the department by: Effectively communicating with the editorial and production teams. Participating in department content planning meetings; Contributing content, writing and editing for online and offline content; Providing guidance / input to IT Staff or backend developers in the development of online applications to ensure the union's branding, messaging and style guidelines are integrated; Maintaining relationships with online communications-related vendors (i.e. Action Network, etc.) and ensuring OCSEA interests and needs in relationships with our affiliate unions (i.e., AFSCME, AFL-CIO).
Other related duties as assigned.
Organizational Relationships: Reports to the Director of Communications; Works closely with the Communications Department team, the IT Department as well as other OCSEA staff and leaders; Assists union staff and /or leaders in the development of website content and online strategies; Maintains an effective working relationship with other staff at OCSEA and AFSCME International.
Examples of specific job duties include:
- Designing and updating webpages and determining technical requirements using HTML, CSS and Java Script.
- Create cascading style sheets that are consistent between browsers.
- Create mockups of webpages.
- Create online advocacy campaigns through email, web and other technologies.
- Write, edit, and contribute online content for web and social media, as well as offline.
- Guide other department staff in the development and preparation of content for online publication
- Work with other departments and staff in assessing needs, identifying opportunities, and developing strategies for online communications;
- Recommends purchases and / or selection of, and utilizes software and appropriate technology to ensure consistent, effective and useful online content;
- Manages / maintains relationships with online vendors and partners
- Conducts surveys, usability tests, and focus groups in an effort to identify improvement opportunities
- Analyzes website and email trends, generates reports, and recommends strategies to improve communications and response rates.
- Troubleshoots problems, identifies options, and implements solutions.
- Develops and provides reports and/or recommendations regarding online utilization and infrastructure.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- A Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications, IT, web develop mentor similar field, including three years’ experience in constituent or membership communications;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the development of advocacy campaigns utilizing online technologies;
- High competency in the use of software for publishing, HTML, CSS and IIS, and in both Windows and Macintosh platforms (e.g., Macromedia DreamWeaver, Fireworks and / or Adobe Photoshop, and others);
- Familiarity with digital photography techniques, concepts and equipment as well as basic digital video editing and producing;
- Skilled in creating and managing the content, architecture and technologies of online communications projects;
- Strong writing, editing and proofing skills; strong verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and to meet established time frames for the completion of projects;
- Understands and empathizes with the goals and objectives of the labor movement;
- Works effectively with other staff, departments and organizations in the completion of goals;
- Must possess a valid driver's license, be able to travel, work extended hours, including some overnights, and work some weekends.
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Completed Application to: Sharon Brady, OCSEA Human Resources Manager, 390 Worthington Road, Westerville, OH 43082 or email@example.com or fax to 614-865-4002.