Child Care Providers and AFSCME: Leading the way to better care and better lives
Michigan child care providers march for a voice with AFSCME Council 25
AFSCME is Leading the Way -- Three Different Local Unions for Child Care: Child Care Providers Together, United Child Care Union and VOICE/CSEA.
Founded and run by child care providers, Child Care Providers Together is a different kind of union that believes we can make progress through strong partnerships with other organizations, parents and child care advocates.
We believe every child deserves the best early care and education. Child Care Providers Together advocates for greater investment in children, our work and ourselves. We're working to achieve increased respect as professionals, more control over the work we do and access to benefits like health insurance. We are affiliated with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, one of the nation's largest and most respected unions that already represents family child care providers and center-based workers across the country.
And we're getting results.
- On-time Payments — We're working with agencies to assure timely and correct payments.
- Statewide Leadership Meetings — We host organizational meetings, bringing us together as family child care providers.
- Lobbying at the State Capitol — We have lobbyists and members at state capitols around the nation to give us a stronger voice, and also track and influence legislation affecting child care in the nation's capitol.
- More Federal Funding — We've protected and are fighting to increase federal funding for children and the providers who care for them.
- Fighting Budget Cuts — Child care providers with United Child Care Union are pressuring Governor Schwarzenegger to not raise requirements of providers without raising reimbursement rates. With $5 billion in new revenue, California should not be balancing the budget on the backs of children and those who care for them.