Medical Bill Negotiating Service
The AFSCME Advantage Medical Bill Negotiating Service by Health Advocate provides AFSCME members with large out-of-pocket medical bills FREE assistance negotiating bill reductions with physicians, hospitals and other medical providers. The Service negotiates with medical providers on the member's behalf to lower costs and establish payment plans.
- You must be a union member or union retiree.
- You must have at least one outstanding unreimbursed medical expense of $400 from a single medical provider. But there's no limit on the number of medical providers with which the service will negotiate.
- Lifetime limit: one Medical Bill Negotiating Service membership per household
Eligible medical expenses:
- When you calculate your unreimbursed medical expenses, you may include expenses incurred from physicians, dentists, hospitals, surgery centers, diagnostic service providers -- any medical provider. The Service attempts to negotiate any medical or dental bill regardless of insurance benefit status, including insured, underinsured, non-covered and out-of-network claims.
- Do not include expenses that were covered by your (or your spouse/dependent’s) health insurance. Health Advocate may not be able to fee negotiate on money that was spplied towrds a deductible, coinsurance or co-pay. Deductibles, coinsurance, and co-pays are the member's contracted obligation with the insurance carrier.
- Unreimbursed expenses must be at least $400 for each medical provider.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application form.
- Please allow 4-5 weeks for application processing.
- When your application is approved you will be notified by email. You will be advised to contact the medical negotiation service provider directly. You should be prepared to provide them with documentation of your unreimbursed medical expenses of at least $400 per medical provider, copies of medical bills, or insurance Explanation of Benefits (EOB) forms.
Print the online application PDF, sign and mail all required documentation to:
ATTN: Medical Bill Negotiating Service
1125 15th St., NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20005