Women's Leadership Academy
The AFSCME Women’s Leadership Academy is designed for women leaders or activists at the local or chapter level. The eight-month Academy includes a five-day orientation session in August 2016, completion of a local union or council project or campaign, and a three-day final session in March 2017. The national union will pay for travel costs, overnight accommodations (double occupancy) and meals for all classroom sessions for selected participants. Affiliates or selected participants will cover vacation or release time.
The link to the application is below.
Please read the criteria and guidelines before starting the application.
The goals of the Academy for participants are to:
- Develop high-level presentation and communication skills
- Develop strategic planning skills for internal organizing
- Create a personal five-year plan
- Establish a mentoring relationship with a seasoned leader
- Build capacity in their own local or chapter
Applicants to the Academy must meet the following criteria:
- Be a local union leader or activist
- Commit to attend all sessions of the Academy (Orientation in August 2016, Final Session in March 2017)
- Commit to participate actively in the mentoring program
- Commit to attend all monthly webinars and/or check-in calls
- Commit to an approved six-month internal organizing or political action project/campaign for their local union or council/affiliate
- Completed applications including essays and letters of recommendations must be submitted electronically by midnight on Friday, April 8, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered.
- All sections and questions must be answered on the application.
- A letter of recommendation from the council/ affiliate director or their designee and a letter of recommendation from the local president are required. All letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the Education Department by the council/affiliate director or their designee and by the local president.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure receipt of letters of recommendation by the AFSCME Education and Leadership Training Department.
If you have any questions, please call Sherri Dance at 202-429-1250.
AFSCME Education and Leadership Training
This application will take approximately 25-35 minutes to complete. Here is a preview of the application so that you can see what it is like before starting the application process.
Please have your AFSCME member number ready before starting (call 855-237-2631 if you don't have it). You will also need to answer the following essay questions:
- Why do you want to participate in the Women’s Leadership Academy? (100 - 250 words)
- What are your goals for yourself and your union over the next 5 years? (100 - 250 words)
Please complete the application in one sitting. If you close the application window before finishing you will have to start over.