Jerry Clark Memorial Scholarship
Jerry Clark served AFSCME for nearly two decades as Director of the International union's Political Action Department. In 1990, to honor the memory of Brother Clark, who died in that year, AFSCME instituted the Jerry Clark Memorial Scholarship.
The Jerry Clark Memorial Scholarship Program is an ongoing program available to children of AFSCME members. Under the program, one scholarship in the amount of $5,000 will be awarded annually to two students majoring in the social sciences for his/her junior and senior years of study. The chosen students will also be given the opportunity to intern at the International Union headquarters in the Political Action department during the summer between his/her junior and senior year or for one semester during his/her junior or senior year. Once awarded, the scholarship will be renewed for the senior year of study, provided the students remain enrolled in a full-time course of study as a social science major.
Any student in his/her sophomore year of study who is enrolled in a full-time four-year degree program in any accredited college or university, and whose parent, legal guardian, or financially responsible grandparent is an AFSCME member and who meets the following requirements is eligible to apply for the scholarship:
- The student must have a Grade Point Average of 2.5 or above.
- The student must be a social science (i.e., political science, sociology, ethnic studies, communications, etc.) major at an accredited college or university.
Download the brochure and application (399k PDF)
All students who apply by the deadline – April 30 of each year – and who meet the minimum requirements stated above will be eligible for the scholarship. The Scholarship Selection Committee will thoroughly examine all applications. The announcement of the winner will be made by August 1.
- Complete the Applicant's section on the Application Form.
- Provide an official copy of your transcripts for your freshman and sophomore years and proof of your social science major.
- Have your parent, legal guardian, or financially responsible grandparent complete the AFSCME Parent's section on the Application Form.
- Attach proof of parent, legal guardian, or financially responsible grandparent's AFSCME membership such as a COPY of the membership card.
- Make sure your complete application, with all support documentation, is mailed to AFSCME, POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN APRIL 30.
Jerry Clark Memorial Scholarship Program
Attention: Political Action Department
1625 L Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036
Contact us online