Hundreds of AFSCME retirees gathered in Las Vegas for the convention of the labor-supported Alliance for Retired Americans. They came to fight for retirement security for current and future retirees,...
Dolores Bresette, Rhode Island Retiree Chapter 94, speaks as part of a battleground program during AFSCME's 40th International Convention held in Los Angeles.
AFSCME Retirees join with Next Wavers — members age 35 and younger — to visit affiliates across the country and experience AFSCME through its history, activism, lobbying and organizing efforts....
Phyllis Zamarripa (CO Chapter 76), Howard Van Kleef (OH Chapter 1184) and Elvyss Arguetta, Local 88 (OR Council 75) get down on the Convention floor.
- Oct 08 White House Spotlights Importance of Unions President Obama hosted a “White House Summit on Worker Voice” Oct. 7 that focused on the importance of unions in the modern economy, a welcome national spotlight that comes as more Americans say they approve of unions. (Blog)
- Aug 14 Here's to 80 Years of Social Security -- and at Least 80 More Social Security is a major source of income for most of the seniors in this country; 9 out of 10 individuals older than 65 receive Social Security retirement payments. It’s one of our most beloved government institutions. (Blog)
- Jul 31 Gov. Rauner Solicits Retirees To Be Strikebreakers Gov. Bruce Rauner’s administration is asking retired state employees to report to work as strikebreakers in the event of a possible work stoppage. (Blog)
- Jul 27 Jeb Bush: ‘Phase Out Medicare’ Medicare provides quality, affordable health care to seniors. It also is in its strongest fiscal shape in years thanks to the Affordable Care Act. So why does Republican Presidential candidate JEB! Bush want to “phase out this program?” (Blog)
- Jul 20 Oregon AFSCME Pushes Reform for All Workers Oregon Gov. Kate Brown signed into law a groundbreaking package of workplace and retirement legislation that could serve as a model for other states. (Blog)
- Jul 10 Retirees Build on Success, Look to Protect Retirement Security More than 100 retirees gathered for the Alliance for Retired Americans Legislative Conference and the Annual AFSCME Retiree Council meeting in the nation’s capital this week, lobbying lawmakers to protect Social Security, Medicare and public pensions. (Blog)
- Jun 05 Texas Pension Board Finds Its Voice for Workers After months of intense lobbying by AFSCME members, the Texas Legislature has finally put the Employees Retirement System (ERS) on a path to actuarial soundness – without cutting employee take-home pay or retirement benefits. (Blog)
- Jun 04 Most Older Workers Not Ready for Retirement Odds are, if you're a worker 55 or older, you're not prepared for a secure retirement, according to a new congressional report. If you are prepared, odds are that you’re a union member. (Blog)
- Jun 01 Retirement Security Fight Focused on Younger Workers The White House Conference on Aging closed its regional meetings with AFSCME members from Rhode Island and Massachusetts demanding that retirement solutions be focused on protecting working people in their later years. (Blog)
- May 27 Illinois Supreme Court Rules Pension Cuts Unconstitutional The Illinois Supreme Court unanimously ruled that a $105 billion pension change affecting half a million active and retired public employees is unconstitutional. (Blog)
- Apr 30 Ohio Retirees at Forum Push to Expand Social Security Standing up for retirement security for all Americans during a White House Conference on Aging (WHCoA) regional meeting here Monday, AFSCME Ohio retirees amplified the call to preserve, protect and expand Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare. (Blog)
- Apr 20 The Man Who Out-Burns Mr. Burns John Arnold is a former Enron executive and Texas hedge fund billionaire who is trying to destroy public pensions across the nation. (Blog)
- Apr 14 VIDEO: Today’s Important Step to Strengthen Retirement Security The Department of Labor is proposing to update rules to protect Americans saving for retirement and crack down on conflicts of interest in retirement advice that are costing middle-class and working families billions of dollars every year. (Blog)
- Apr 14 Inequity Follows Women into Retirement You may have heard that women earn less than men for the same amount of work. To be exact, 78 cents for every dollar a man makes. But what many people don’t know is that inequity follows women into retirement, where it gets even worse. (Blog)
- Apr 08 Retirees Demand Real Retirement Security at White House Events Seniors called on officials to stand up and protect programs that offer real retirement security for Americans as regional White House forums continued in Phoenix and Seattle. (Blog)
- Mar 31 Minnesota Members, Retirees Lobby Legislators The Minnesota activists' agenda included new revenue for infrastructure, increased staffing at prisons and parks, protecting retirement security, and more paycheck stability. (Blog)