Hundreds of AFSCME retirees gathered in Las Vegas for the convention of the labor-supported Alliance for Retired Americans. They came to fight for retirement security for current and future retirees,...
Dolores Bresette, Rhode Island Retiree Chapter 94, speaks as part of a battleground program during AFSCME's 40th International Convention held in Los Angeles.
AFSCME Retirees join with Next Wavers — members age 35 and younger — to visit affiliates across the country and experience AFSCME through its history, activism, lobbying and organizing efforts....
Phyllis Zamarripa (CO Chapter 76), Howard Van Kleef (OH Chapter 1184) and Elvyss Arguetta, Local 88 (OR Council 75) get down on the Convention floor.
- Jul 18 AFSCME Retirees (Literally) Never Quit AFSCME Retirees nationwide converged in Las Vegas over the weekend for their 36th annual meeting. (Blog)
- Jun 02 CSEA Retiree Finds Second Calling in Local Politics With the help of local labor groups, this AFSCME retiree is running for office. (Blog)
- Jun 01 Don’t Let Wall Street Grab Your Retirement Savings Financial advisers are not required by law to put your best interests over theirs. President Obama’s trying to fix that but the right-wing lawmakers are blocking the way. (Blog)
- Apr 25 Would You Like Ribs or a Hot Dog with Your AFSCME Strong? Hot dogs, BBQ and discussions about their union and politics were just a few highlights of a picnic for AFSCME members across Miami-Dade County, Fla. (Blog)
- Mar 07 Never Quit: Louise Lex, 86, Just Wants to Help People Louise Lex, 86, personifies the theme of National Women’s History Month: “Honoring Women in Public Service and Government.” (Blog)
- Mar 03 Frances Perkins: Making History This Women’s History Month we remember former Secretary of Labor Frances Perkins, a trailblazer for women and for all working people. (Blog)
- Feb 22 Unions Give Hillary Boost in Nevada AFSCME active and retired members helped push Hillary Clinton to victory in the Nevada caucuses over the weekend. (Blog)
- Feb 11 Cab Drivers Host Health Care, Medicaid Fairs Cab Drivers United/AFSCME Local 2500 in Chicago hosted fairs to help drivers get health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. (Blog)
- Dec 26 For Younger Workers, Creeping Doubts Once upon a time, there was retirement security... (Blog)
- Dec 08 DC 37 Members Lobby for Puerto Rico Support Members of New York DC 37 came to Washington last week to advocate for federal support for Puerto Rico. (Blog)
- Oct 30 How 100 CEOs Equal 50 Million Families Shocking new study shows the top 100 CEOs have as much retirement assets as 41 percent of all American families. (Blog)
- Oct 22 ‘It Just Takes One Person to Change the World’ When mechanic Charlie Blackwell went to work at Florida International University shortly after it opened in the 1970s, he knew the name of everyone on campus. FIU is now huge, and as the AFSCME Local 3346 member retires, just about everybody knows him. (Blog)
- Oct 08 White House Spotlights Importance of Unions President Obama hosted a “White House Summit on Worker Voice” Oct. 7 that focused on the importance of unions in the modern economy, a welcome national spotlight that comes as more Americans say they approve of unions. (Blog)
- Aug 14 Here's to 80 Years of Social Security -- and at Least 80 More Social Security is a major source of income for most of the seniors in this country; 9 out of 10 individuals older than 65 receive Social Security retirement payments. It’s one of our most beloved government institutions. (Blog)
- Jul 31 Gov. Rauner Solicits Retirees To Be Strikebreakers Gov. Bruce Rauner’s administration is asking retired state employees to report to work as strikebreakers in the event of a possible work stoppage. (Blog)
- Jul 27 Jeb Bush: ‘Phase Out Medicare’ Medicare provides quality, affordable health care to seniors. It also is in its strongest fiscal shape in years thanks to the Affordable Care Act. So why does Republican Presidential candidate JEB! Bush want to “phase out this program?” (Blog)