AFSCME members know that strong unions make for stronger communities. Today, in the face of unrelenting attacks, our union is helping to lead the way towards that goal.
With the release of “The AFSCME Agenda: Freedom and Opportunity for All,” our union is reasserting our values and paving the way for stronger communities to flourish. The rich and powerful have rigged the system against working families. It’s up to unions to promote unity and stability in our communities.
Unions are needed now more than ever. When people have the freedom to join together in unions, we have the strength in numbers we need to counter the influence of big money and big corporations on our country.
The AFSCME Agenda includes the following priorities, for which we’ll never quit fighting:
- A voice on the job for all: We support policies that include expanding collective bargaining rights and establishing a living wage, as well as the rights to paid sick and family leave and equal pay for women.
- Health care for all: We support strengthening the Affordable Care Act to reduce costs and increase access to health care, and we support strengthening Medicare and Medicaid.
- Retirement security for all: We support policies that promote well-funded pensions, consumer protections against high-fee 401(k) retirement funds, and protecting and enhancing Social Security.
- Quality public services for all: We support fully-funded, high-quality public services, ending reckless privatization schemes that let corporations take control of public services from taxpayers, and making sure the wealthy pay their fair share to fund public services for all.
- Democracy for all: We are committed to policies that promote social justice, making it easier to vote and ending the poisonous influence of billionaires and corporate special interests in our political system.
The AFSCME Agenda is based on our commonly-shared principles as a diverse union of proud public service workers. We will fight for it at the negotiating table, at the ballot box, in Congress, and in state legislatures nationwide. It shows our members and our communities that we stand for freedom and opportunity for working families and retirees.
Check out our AFSCME Agenda website at agenda.afscme.org.