AFSCME-United Nurses of America is over 60,000 nurses working in unity to advance quality and accountability in the healthcare setting through organizing, political action and nursing practice. Together, United Nurses of America members across the country are winning wage, benefit and other improvements such as prohibitions on mandatory overtime through strong collective bargaining agreements with our employers – and advocating for legislation and policies to increase health care funding, improve quality care, and institute safer working conditions and protections for nurses. Across the country, we are reaching out to other nurses who want to join AFSCME-UNA. As our numbers grow, so does our power to improve our jobs, the care we deliver and the quality of our lives.
Latest News »More News »
- Mar 20 School Nurse Shortage Update The majority of school districts in the U.S. fail to meet recommended nurse-to-student ratios despite... (Advance for Nurses)
- Mar 01 Nurse Practitioners Say How They’re Paid Affects Care They Can Provide Restrictive payment policies impact patient care more than state “scope of practice” laws. (Kaiser Health News)
- Jul 30 CMS announced the five hospitals receiving funds under the Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration. This project provides up to $200 million over four years to the five eligible hospitals...
- Jul 11 The Nursing Alliance for Quality Care (NAQC) releases Guiding Principles for Patient Engagement Nine core principles designed to support nurses, health care providers in delivering high-quality, patient-centered care.... (Nursing Alliance for Quality Care)
- May 30 CMS Announces Partnership to Improve Dementia Care in Nursing Homes Government partnering with providers, caregivers, patients to ensure appropriate use of antipsychotic medications. (Press Release)
- May 23 Local Health Department Job Losses and Program Cuts Report finds local health departments cut almost 40,000 employees since 2008, hitting clinical health services.... (National Association of County & City Health Officials)
- May 15 Obama administration presents national plan to fight Alzheimer’s disease Secretary Sebelius outlines research funding, tools for health care providers, awareness campaign and new website... (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- May 14 Nurses balance tech advances with old-fashioned patient care Yvonne Yacoub has been a nurse for half a century. In 50 years, she has... (USA Today)
- May 01 Report finds physician and nursing communication key to patient safety Study finds 27% more patient safety events in hospitals performing in the bottom 10% for... (HealthGrades)